Got my Art Carr tranny from Super Coupe Performance

Shockwave

I got my Art Carr AOD from Super Coupre Performance

Ignore the Mad smilely next to this post. I can't figure out how to delete it.

After 6 weeks Art Carr called yeasterday that they had shipped my Street/Strip AOD (lockup) that was purchased through Super Coupe Performance, with CCX, Conway Central Express. Then later CCX calls and leaves a message on the answering machine saying that I can pickup the tranny anytime. Somehow I miss understood that the tranny would be delivered to my house. I paid almost $150 in shipping and was not expecting terminal delivery. I called Bill today and he explained to me that they might not deliver to certain addresses. The terminal is only about 7 miles away so that's not the problem. I know some other transmission builders will ship at a discount to a truck terminal. Anybody expecting curb service had better get that squared away up front. The transmission came in a black plastic crate made to hold transmissions. It came with a dyno sheet with PSI measurements for every gear selection and WOT shift points. P, R, and N were around 210 psi and OD, D and 1 were around 170 psi. Upshifts were 1-2 4500, 2-3 4000, and 3-4 was 3500.
dynoAOD.gif

The invoice said to make sure and use T-Bird linkage (8 o'clock). That got me to thinking that it probbaly came with Mustang linkage. Also there is no TV cable linkage on the tranny. At first I thought there was something wrong there, but that part is just missing so I will have to use the TV linkage arm off of my AOD. It does have T-Bird linkage and the TV linkage part goes on easy. The case is painted completely black and they painted over the neutral safety switch contacts so I will have to scrape that paint off. That must be part of a tranny rebuilders learning requirement, never tape anything off before shooting the Krylon. The invoice says 10" convertor not 9.5" which may be good or bad since I want a 2200-2400 stall.

Anyway all that stuff wont mean a thing if the tranny shifts right and is built right inside. When it's installed I will report back. This is supposed to go in the stock 90 SC. :)

Jerry

Last edited:
I had the same problem about a week ago. Conway called and said the trans could be picked up. WTF? The terminal is 50 miles away from here. Called Bill and wanted some of my money back....he said there was nothing he could do. That is just total BS.

I'm not sure Conway would deliver a tranny. They don't seem setup for it. All they had at the terminal was 18 wheelers and piggybacks. The trans was 220 lbs shipped. I'm so close to St. Louis that it never occured to me that there would be a problem with it coming to my house. Conway didn't even have my address! It was shipped from Art Carr with terminal shipping in mind.

The invoice from Conway reads:

Shipper:

Torco
19 Windmill Cir
Abilene, TX 79606-5234

Consignee:

Jerry Staton
my phone number
8390 N Hall St.
St. Louis, MO. 63147

8390 N Hall St. is Conways terminal address.

The thing is this, if all you are going to receive is terminal delivery then just say so. If home delivery is $200 or more say so. Bill acts like it may, might, or should. I guarantee that Art Carr knew that they were shipping terminal delivery. I live less than 10 miles from the terminal and have access to a truck others like Brandon aren't as lucky.

Jerry

I'm not out to bash Bill at Super Coupe Performance. He is a very nice guy to talk to and he seems like he really cares, and if the transmission comes with everything it says it does then I am getting a lot for my money. Art Carr's regular Street/Strip doesn't come with mechanical diode or 2" OD band for instance. I went back and reread my posts and it sounds like I'm super mad or something. That's not the case at all, but I'm not out to gloss over all the small details either. Let's just see how everything goes.

Jerry

I got mine through conway too. THen i got the phone call sayin it was ready to pick up like you and i was like no, thats coming to my house. So i call them back and say that i expect it delivered to my house... I payed to much and thats what it was for. Also they are located across the bridge and after 150 for shippin i wasnt about to spend the gas and 2 bucks toll to go pick it up. Thats redicilous i told them and they were to deliver it to my house. So that same day a huge truck pulls onto my little street and droped it off. I was like "YEAH". Didnt even help the guy pull it out. lol. just stood and watched. Im not sure if its conway or whatnot but that just seemed janky to me. Other than that i have had 0 complaints about my Extream AOD :D Zach

cant wait for the update

Jerry

Cant wait for the update, Im goning to be ordering the same trans for my car within the next couple months.

Overall, I was happy with the transaction and I'm not knocking Bill either. I live along a major highway and I see Conway trucks go past here every day. That, along with the $150 shipping charge irritated me a little bit though.

So i call them back and say that i expect it delivered to my house... I payed to much and thats what it was for. Also they are located across the bridge and after 150 for shippin i wasnt about to spend the gas and 2 bucks toll to go pick it up. Thats redicilous
headshake.gif
I payed to much
cryin.gif

If you are so sure you paid too much how about you call around and ask some other shipping companies how much it costs to ship a 220lb package somewhere. I think you will find that Art Carr has a VERY reasonable rate for shipping.

Last edited:
I drove my car for the first time after the tranny swap. The transmission performed flawlessly. Now it's time for the Lentech valvebody.

Brandon, what Art Carr model did you buy? Also what size convertor and stall did you get? How do you like the way it shifts now before you add the Lentech valvebody.

Jerry

Shockwave said:
Brandon, what Art Carr model did you buy? Also what size convertor and stall did you get? How do you like the way it shifts now before you add the Lentech valvebody.

Jerry

I bought the Art Carr Extreme AOD with a 9.5 inch converter with a 2400 stall. I'm happy with the way it shifts.....it's nice and firm. I haven't gone WOT yet, but normal driving it seems really nice. The main reason for buying the Lentech is I want the P-R-N-3-2-1 and the OD button. Why Ford didn't do this is beyond me. How long did it take you to get your trans? I received mine in less than a month. I thought that was pretty quick. Do you know the exact amount of fluid it's supposed to take? I added until it was good, but I don't know the amount I used. Just curious.

Shockwave said:
if the transmission comes with everything it says it does then I am getting a lot for my money. Art Carr's regular Street/Strip doesn't come with mechanical diode or 2" OD band for instance. Jerry

here is the supercoupeperformance page cut and paste:

Art Carr STREET / STRIP AOD Transmission

Includes the mechanical diode sprag, upgraded 2" OD band, 8-pack direct drum, their valve body shift improver for better fluid flow and firmer shifts, premium clutch packs, and all the other high performance goodies Art Carr is known and respected for.

It says it comes with the bigger OD band and such. do you mean a tranny direct from art carr doesn't have those upgrades? Anyway, I will order mine in a few weeks! :D
To go along with my new exhaust and 10% pully :cool:

When I called Art Carr and said I was interested in a Street/Strip and mentioned the mechanical diode and 2" OD band the guy said it doesn't come that way. When I mentioned Super Coupe Performance, the guy said Bill has his own spec trannies. The guy then told me I should call Super Coupe Performance if I wanted that transmission.

I think they will build the transmission anyway you want it. To get the mechanical diode and 2" OD band on a Lentech you are talking $2200 plus convertor so the price is a good one.

Jerry

not to knock the Art Carr trans or Super Coupe Performance.....but.....you guys all realize (i hope) that a good local tranny shop could build the same thing for far less and save you shipping too......... (i guess the key word in that statement is GOOD tranny shop.... and i'm fortunate that i know one in my local area.....)

kevenj90sc said:
not to knock the Art Carr trans or Super Coupe Performance.....but.....you guys all realize (i hope) that a good local tranny shop could build the same thing for far less and save you shipping too......... (i guess the key word in that statement is GOOD tranny shop.... and i'm fortunate that i know one in my local area.....)
Yes.. the key word there is GOOD. In general, I think its best to research the heck out of it (BBB, referrals, etc) and stay away from "low ball" shops. There's a reason why their prices are lower.

Finally got a chance to install the trany this weekend. The AOD came with the 10" convertor and was already installed in the tranny and had fluid in it. So we just checked to make sure convetor was fully seated and installed the trans. We had to move over the TV linkage, park linkage bracket to trans, and tranny/exhaust mount over from the old AOD onto the Art Carr. Before installing the Art Carr we flushed the radiator lines and installed a B&M 24,000 GVW stacked plate cooler inline with the radiator cooler.

For the TV cable setup, we held the TV linkage at the trans at full position and held the throttle body at WOT and connected the linkage to the throttle body. This basically gives you max TV setting. So you can't hurt anything until you can adjust the TV control. Art Carr instructions tell you that you must have max TV pressure at WOT. This method achieved that recommnedation and anymore adjustment in that direction would keep the throttle body from reaching WOT.

Then we preceeded to add four quarts of mercon and start the engine. We had the rear wheels off the ground so no load could be placed on the transmisson while you ran it threw R and D. Upon start up we preceeded to add four more quarts, but we overfilled the AOD due to the fact that it had been on the dyno and the convertor not drained. ALso the 10" convertor holds about 2 to 2 1/2 quarts less than the stock 12" convertor. We had to pump out the extra fluid and drain it at the cooler. The Art Carr AOD only needed about 5 1/2 quarts from us to be full. Normally a stock AOD with 12" convertor would need 12 quarts if completely empty.

I would love to find a TV control pressure gauge tool , anybody know where I can buy one? According to the Ford Shop Manual, on TV rod linkage (old style before TV cable) you can use an X drill which is .397 inch diameter. So we made up a tool that thick to pull the TV cable out at idle. We did the TV test in NUETRAL and attached a 0-100 psi gauge on the TV port. At our MAX TV setting from earlier we were getting 38 psi wth tool and 0 psi without tool. I had marked the TV linkage from the original AOD setting. Wiith the cable set where it was on the OLD AOD the TV pressure was 30 psi wiht tool connected. So right now I have a mark where we have max TV setting and the original mark which works out to 30 psi with our made up tool of .397 thick.

We set it down to 35 psi with tool and OD comes in at 50 MPH. I'll set it down just a hair tomorrow and see if OD will come in a little sooner.

The transmission shifts nice and firm in all gears and the only downshift you can feel is OD coming out at 35 mph. So far we are satisfyed with the transmission.

Now for the 10" lock-up convertor the jury is still out. Art Carr said that it would stall at 2400 rpm. We will have to live with it, and see how it grows on us. Initial impressions are that it's a little too loose. I told them I wanted the convertor as tight as possible and it's advertised on supercoupeperformance as 2200-3000 rpm stall. Form others who have posted about these small convertors this might not be possible. The new convertor will jump to 1700 on very light throttle and 2100 rpm on moderate. Compared to my 89 with stock stall AOD, the same throttle loads would be 1400 and 1800. This doesn't sound like much of a difference but the more torque you give the convertor the more it slips where as on the 12" stock convertor it's pretty well locked up at 1800-2000 and pulling hard.

It's hard to describe with just one days driving. I'll post again about the convertor and in more detail after some time with it.

Jerry

Shockwave,

Two questions, if I may:

1. Where did you mount the cooler, and was it a pain in the arse?
2: Did you have ot drop the Fuel Tank? If not, how did you disconnect the driveshaft?

Looking forward to your reply, as mine is going in tomorrow for the same thing, and I want to keep my tranny guy honest. :eek:

Wings Dirty said:
Shockwave,

Two questions, if I may:

1. Where did you mount the cooler, and was it a pain in the arse?
2: Did you have ot drop the Fuel Tank? If not, how did you disconnect the driveshaft?

Looking forward to your reply, as mine is going in tomorrow for the same thing, and I want to keep my tranny guy honest. :eek:

1. I mounted the cooler on the real metal bumper behind the urethane bumper cover. I didn't like mounting it on the A/C condensor with plastic zip ties. There are already two holes in the bumper just waiting to be used.

cooler.jpg

cooler2.jpg

2. You do NOT have to drop the tank. Unbolt the DIFFERENTIAL and drop that down and slide the driveshaft over the top. The CATs and resonator have to be dropped. The rear mufflers and intermediate pipe can just hang from the muffler hangers.

Jerry

Shockwave said:
1. I mounted the cooler on the real metal bumper behind the urethane bumper cover. I didn't like mounting it on the A/C condensor with plastic zip ties. There are already two holes in the bumper just waiting to be used.

2. You do NOT have to drop the tank. Unbolt the DIFFERENTIAL and drop that down and slide the driveshaft over the top. The CATs and resonator have to be dropped. The rear mufflers and intermediate pipe can just hang from the muffler hangers.

Jerry

I like! I might have to get one of those coolers as well.

And in regards to the Tank. Thanks for the heads up. Now I know why he quoted me 10 hours, and Alldata said 7.x hours.

Back