Heavy fuel smell

suprkoop

Recently I have been getting a really bad smell of fuel from my 90 SC.Dont know what it is.Someone told me possibly the charcoal canister,but I dont think so.There are also no visible leaks around the gas tank.Help!!!Its driving me crazy!! :confused:

It will be beneifical to have more information about this symptom.

First, when exactly do you smell it? Does it occur when the engine is running, only during starting, only when off, all the time, ect?

Next, how strong is the smell, and can you isolate its strength to one specific location?

Finally, are there any other running symptoms like poor idle, rich exhaust stream, puddles on ground, ect?

It seems to smell all the time when it is running whether under acceleration or ideling.There are no puddles under the car or any wet spots on the chassis(recently had the car up on a lift-found nothing).The idle does seem a bit rough-maybe bad O2 sensors?Recently I replaced the cam and crankshaft sensors.Plugs and wires have about 2k on them.The smell is strong but very hard to pinpoint where it is coming from.Any ideas would be appreciated.Thanks.

If the fuel is occuring whenever the car is running, I think it is logical to conclude that the source of this smell is a point at which the fuel is flowing through only when the car is running, and leaking out from.

This rules out things like the bottom of the gas tank.

I guess I would start by thoroughly inspecting the fuel lines for signs of a leak. Also check around the fuel filter. Its possible the gasoline is evacuating from the leak point and either dripping onto the ground slowly while driving down the road or possibly even evaporating before causing a noticeable puddle.

I have heard instances of the fuel lines leaking on these cars due to age and corrosion, I also believe there are some spots which are more susceptible to this than others.

Others should have more input.. under the appropriate conditions, this can be a dangerous occurance.

Another likely culprit is the O ring seal for the fuel pump/ sender unit. Unless it's really toast, you may never get actual fuel leaking, but it easily vents vapors. Mine actually stunk for about six months before gas leaked out bad enough to reach the floor of my garage.

Thanks for the input guys.The car is actually about to come of the road for a few months for EXTENSIVE work(ie-trans,motor upgrades,paint,bla bla bla :D )now that I have my SHO with new clutch installed(real bitch to do!)I will probably pull down the tank for fuel pump anyways and maybe replace the lines.I'll keep you posted.Thanks again.

Back