stuck actuator

bustedbird

I need help! My 89 SC has some problems, the bi-pass valve actuator is acting up. I just replaced the unit yesterday and am still having problems. The thing works when I start the car up and works for about a mile, but at only about 5 psi, then after a mile no boost. When I stop the car and look at the actuator, the thing is stuck open. I removed the vaccum line from the back of actuator, and it slammed shut. When I replaced the actuator, the valve on the plenum moved super easy, so I don't believe that the problem is there. Does anybody have any ideas, or cures for my cursed bird?

ByPass

I've only had trouble with mine once, the butterfly was sticking, I fixed it by spraying WD40 at both ends of the rod, especially where it goes into the plenum, then I worked it back and forth. My vacuum was normal. Good luck

Thanks for the info, wd-40 was one of the first things that I tried, with no luck. I think that it is a vaccum problem, but I don't know where to start to try to diagnose the problem. The diagram in the chiltons manual isn't clear enough to decipher. Thanks though!

Back