headers question

93SC 5speed

I had some kooks long tube headers installed on my car a couple months ago and I've been having some problems with the drivers side header rubbing on the steering, I could be wrong but, I thought only the mustang headers would do this? Is there any way to fix this without denting the header?

Is it a bad idea to leave it how it is? I can hear it every other time I turn a corner, it's not loud, but it's there.

I didn't see anywhere that you mention that you have new motor mounts (I really wish I had some of your mods though, nice!). If they haven't been changed, get on that fast! If your engine is sitting lower because the mounts are shot, that would (maybe) explain the rubbing I would guess. But, it's just my thought on a very early Monday morning!

I support the motor mount theory but will add a fix to your problem. You can remove the motor mount upper bracket from the engine, move the hole .300" over toward the drivers side by elongating it and then welding a hardened washer of the proper size for the motor mount stud to fit through on each motor mount bracket. This will be significant enough to fix the rubbing header issue and insignificant enough that you wont notice any negative drivetrain issues as a result of the modification. I would inspect the passenger side frame rail from under the car to verify the header is not hitting or rubbing there as well.

Paul

Back