spun rod bearing, rebuilding & have questions

scotte

hi my 92 sc motor (its in my stang) spun a rod bearing friday night so now its rebuild time!

i have a good factory size forged crank (off a parts motor i dont like turning cranks down)

i also have 6 good rods off the parts motor

is just replacing the one rod that spun going to cause problems?
(i dont think it will)

i plan on
new rod/main/cam bearings
all new seals/gaskets
a performance cam ( any opinions ) i want somthing that makes everybosy think that thing's got a cam in it :D but i want it to idle to (it is a street car)
new oilpump/rebuild kit
i'm prolly gonna either port the heads myself or send them somewhere depending on fundage
new timing gear/chain
i think thats all

hmm

I would say taking the crank from one motor to put in another without any machine work is a bad idea-I've done it before and had nothing but bad results-both times the crank came from a good motor-just my .02-mike

well.......

the book says "turn the crank".
when the rod bearing spins, what is it spinning on.... the Crank.
So in theory when you pull it off the crank it should be damaged, even though it may appear OK.
You can just turn that one journal on the crank and replace just those bearings.... but you probably have to buy a full set of rod bearings anyway, and it doesn't cost much more to have the whole Crank turned, so why not keep all the bearings the same size (ie .010 over for a .010 turned crank.
what made the bearing spin ?
do you know, because you need to look at the root cause here !
just my 2 cents
Mach1steve
www.muggziperformance.com

i would try it just pay attention to old bearing size so you can get new ones and replace the same way

the motor was from a salvage yard in ohio bought it w/ 56k actual miles (checked cars vin with carfax)

i had a coworker look at it and he say's the previous owner either ran it low on oil a time or two or blew the hg's and fixed them but it allready did the damage (i check the oil before i start the car every time + thier was no water in the oil

btw just to clarify
the crank in my motor is damaged
the crank i'm using is from a diff. shockblock i had laying around ( had low comp. but the bearings and crank are fine)

Re: Spun bearing

Be sure to check out the surface of your front timing cover that the oil pump gears ride against. It is probably scored as its aluminum. Figure on purchasing a brand new timing cover and a 94/95 SC oil pump. It has one more lobe plus they are beefier. I think someone could grind the front cover surface flat and build a bronze shim surface up for the gears to ride on, similar to the way they used to build up a clutch plate surface on aluminum flywheels. Be sure to radius all your oil passages in the crank and block.

i wont need a new timing cover because i just put a new one on when i originaly put this motor in the stang i had to switch to the 94/95 style cover so i could use a mustang crank sensor ;) as for the pump i plan on using a h.v. melling-m246 unit

Back