HELP: Possible fuel problems

rad_al_

I just bought a '94 SC & when I picked it up, it seemed to running fine. Now it seems to buck a lot & just cuts out really bad when I stomp the gas. Boost is also going up to 15 lbs on my stock engine (no sure what it's suppose to be). If I ease into the gas it does fine until about 3/4 of the way to the floor. My '88 Turbo Coupe had a similar problem & it turned out to be the fuel pump. I've already changed the fuel filter. Does it sound like a bad pump or something more technical? Any advice would help. Thanks! rad1@evansville.net

If the plugs and wires are original (date is on wires on early models don't know for sure on late models), then this is your problem. Trying slowly loading the engine on the freeway. if it gets to a certian boost and bucks it's time for plugs an wires.

Jeff

15 psi is normal and yes its a good chance the fuel pump is shot as my was doing this also and drove me nuts for a year. Try as Jeff recommended and change out those wires and plugs. If that dosn`t work get a new pump. When I took mine out and bench tested it. It ran irratic but showed good pressure when tested but I was not able to test under load or boost.
Good luck

I had the same problem when getting on the highway (stomping it), and it turned out to be plugs. But, if you just picked it up from buying it, I would say that the chances are high that the place you bought it from put the wrong gas in her! Make sure it's premium!

On a stock 94-95, 15psi is not normal you should get closer to 13psi unless you have a overdrive pulley or 89-93 pulley and live at sea level. Maybe a bad cat.

Jeff

Contrary to your belief....

Jeff,
After WOT for about 10 seconds, my boost gauge registers 15 psi. It's been that way for 7 years and 52,000 miles, FYI.

Mike

It shouldn’t be that high on a stock car, unless your exhaust is corked, you are running an overdrive pulley or your gauge is off.

Jeff

Why is that? I have been reading these posts here for years, and I have heard before of owners of 94-95 SC's reaching 14-15 psi without 5 or 10% pullies easy. If I had a clogged cat or some other exhaust problem, then that problem would have more than likely showed it's ugly head by blowing my headgaskets or something like that. And as far as the guage being off, that's possible. I have heard that the boost gauge is not the most accurate thing. But, with the car completely off, it's set dead on 0. 15 psi is just fine on a stock 94-95 SC. When I get my digital camera next month, I'll take a picture for you... I think that the 89-93's could only reach like 12-13 psi in stock form not the 94-95's.

Jeff, both my 94`s have new exhausts including new high flow cats, resonaters. I have had 3 pre 94 cars and they could only muster about 12 psi.
Anyone from around here with a 94-95 have these boost levels. Infact the last 94 I put to gether had ported everything and still would get to 15 with the stock pully. Im sure its due to the coatings on the rotors

Last Lat SC I ran in had a 89 pulley on it and in barley made 15psi. Spoke to some of the other guys and they say they see 15psi if they keep in it over 3.5K

Jeff

Still think it's plugs or wires.

Both of my SC's, (94 & 95) would reach 15 psi when they were totally stock. I've spoken to many 94/5 owners that say they have seen 15 psi stock. I believe it's normal to see 15 psi in a stock 94/5 SC especially in cooler weather. :)

fine, fine 15 psi, lets get to the issue instead of everybody chiming in on how much car their boost makes. The only reason I mentioned it is that a slightly melted cat can cause higher than normal boost readings which could also cause some bucking and loss of power.

Jeff

Thanks for everyone's help, though it does seem I started a little bit of a heated discussion about boost levels. Anyway, the problem is now fixed. It ended up being plugs and wires... 2 plugs were very loose abd 1 was kind of loose. The owners before me never changed the plugs, it still had the factory plugs and the plug wires were dated 1994. I do plan on replacing the fuel pump with the 190 I already bought since the car has just under 90,000 miles. BTW... the plugs & wires were a pain in the a$$, good thing I have friends to help me do it!

Back