No not again......

Danielle_in_LV

I was on my way home from California and somewhere close to Baker, Ca
I was in cruse control going about 65 and I glanced down and I saw the temp was in the red, The car didnt shutter or even jerk. After it cooled down I started it up and the engine was knocking so I had to leave it there. I just had the HG done in Feb and the tranny rebuilt in march, What should I do I cant just leave it I dont have enough for a new engine, and I cant tow it with my moms buick. :(

Did you check the coolant?

If it overheated, there is probably little to no coolant in the radiator. Fill it with tap water for the time being until you can fix the leak. If the knock is bad (you can hear it inside the car), get some friends, rent a Uhaul and a car carrier trailer or borrow a truck and rent the trailer, drive it the 20 feet onto the trailer and tow it home.

Generally, if you catch the problem soon enough, the engine won't be damaged, but if you drive on it, bad stuff happens to the engine. A noticable knock is ususally a sign of a fried rod bearing. To fix requires an engine tear down.

Get that "Check Gauge" dash lite fixed! You should have had some warning.

TbirdSCFan said:
If it overheated, there is probably little to no coolant in the radiator. Fill it with tap water for the time being until you can fix the leak. If the knock is bad (you can hear it inside the car), get some friends, rent a Uhaul and a car carrier trailer or borrow a truck and rent the trailer, drive it the 20 feet onto the trailer and tow it home.

Generally, if you catch the problem soon enough, the engine won't be damaged, but if you drive on it, bad stuff happens to the engine. A noticable knock is ususally a sign of a fried rod bearing. To fix requires an engine tear down.

Get that "Check Gauge" dash lite fixed! You should have had some warning.
I wouldn't run strait water in the cooling system. The water pump might wear out in a mater of an hour.

thewood said:
I wouldn't run strait water in the cooling system. The water pump might wear out in a mater of an hour.

I believe he is saying to get the car on the trailer just use water. It sounds like she might be needing to rebuild the engine now. I would change out a water pump during a overhaul anyway.

Good luck Danielle. I hope it works out for you. Do you have AAA or towing insurance on the car? That would at least get the car off the side of the road.

Update

Ok called CHP to see if they picked up my bird and they gave me the number to this Truck Stop/Barn/Tow about 2 miles from where I had broke down. 1st call they said it was like $130 and $20 each day, fine can I come get my car. He said he would call me when the paperwork was ready. 3hrs later I called and now he said that its $250 because of it being an (Off Road) Tow <------WTF his reason was my car was in the sand <------Hello It was 1am Dark and I was alone with my 14yr old sister I was more worried about getting out of the BIG GIANT TRUCKERS WAY that one sliver of my tire was in the DESERT. Then he was like "from the looks of your car I'm sure you can afford 250" so as i'm trying so hard to hold back the tears as he telling me "I dont care about you or your problems I could have got stuck in the sand and I even broke something on my truck" Look first off we are in the DESERT not on the &%$#% Beach. What can I do this guy is SO trying to take advantage me and I feel helpless!!!!!!!

From what I know, towing companies who are on call from the highway patrol are not free to set their own rates. You should call CHP and find out what is allowable. Once you know who to contact, then go get your car along with a parent or someone who can speak about the legal ramifications. Negotiate for you car there and take notes if they refuse to remove the extra toll... But if they won't, pay the toll, telling them that you intend to file complaints with the BBB, the attorney general and the highway patrol. It would be a good idea if you could go to where your car was and take a picture of the mile marker and the tire tracks (or lack there of) where the breakdown occurred. Then drive to the towyard measuring the precise mileage. Any sort of evidence like this helps you in a case against the tow company which I can assure you is not keeping records like that.

Then once they relent and you get your car back, go ahead and file a complaint anyway. Otherwise, for them its onto the next victim. They really don't care, so giving back some part of an inflated fee is just part of the business.

Sorry you're having probs like that. Its why I don't leave my car to be towed.

Wow, Baker is in the boondocks of Cali. I would suggest you get a post up on the SoCal chapter board and even the NorCal board for information. I dont think any of the SoCal members live much further out than Victorville, but you may be able to get some assistance from one of them. I know one of the NorCal members is Highway Patrol so he may be able to give you some pointers on how to handle the situation. Have you spoken with any of the Vegas members to see if anyone there can help? Their BBS is located at http://pub84.ezboard.com/bsccosw10387. A few of the guys there have rebuilt their own engines and might be able to lend a hand. From the looks of Mapquest, you are going to have a heck of a time towing it anywhere from Baker. From the sound of your post, you are going to be in a for an engine overhaul. A rod knock is not uncommon after failed HGs. That doesn't explain the overheating though. Check your oil and coolant, don't be afraid to add just add straight water, it will not hurt anything including your water pump. If I can help out, drop me a line.

Paul

Back