What type of coolant to use?

edspringer

Seems like I read here a while back about using only using GREEN antifreeze in the brass/copper radiators vice the long life ORANGE stuff. I thought the post said that the ORANGE stuff eats at/away the solder joints in the brass/copper radiators. Is this true or a wive's tale? If it is true, it may be a good idea to post that info in the FAQ section.

P.S. - I used the ORANGE stuff in my Chevy Suburban Diesel's aluminum radiator for 7 years. I had to replace the radiator due to a cracked plastic end cap. When I removed the end caps to look at the core, the radiator was super clean and I did not see any corrosion at all.

Ed Springer

90 Black XR7SC 5-speed: 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, '94 Supercharger, 5% SC Pulley, Raised SC Top, I/C Fan, Underdrive Pulleys, 190 l/h Fuel Pump, 36# Injectors, Headers, Magnaflow Muffler (no cats) with stock resoantors, 3:27 Gears, Ripper Shifter, 73 CL MAF and Magnacore Wires, NGK Iridium Plugs.

94 Red SC Auto: 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, Stock 90 SC Pulley, Raised SC Top, I/C Fan, Underdrive Pulleys, 190 l/h Fuel Pump, 38# Injectors, Headers, Raven Muffler (no cats) with stock resoantors, 3:73 Gears, 73 CL MAF, Magnacore Wires, NGK Iridium Plugs, TRANSGO Shift Kit, ProTorque 2500 Stall TC, Haydon Auxiliary Transmission Cooler, American Racing 17” Sniper Wheels, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Tires.

Hello Ed; this post by Dr.Fred about coolant types is an excellent source of information: http://pub29.ezboard.com/fthunderbirdscenthusiastclubfrm13.showMessage?topicID=124.topic

It seems that when different coolant types are mixed the additive package which protects against corrosion, foaming, and more can be neutralized or even turned corrosive. This is why it is not recommended to switch a car that is not thoroughly flushed.

I have also been told by more than one mechanic that the long life coolant may actually be inferior in its ability to protect the internal cooling system from corrosion due to the different additives.

Dr. Fred........thanks for the feedback. I thought I had heard something to the effect of what you were saying. I replaced the radiator in my 90 XR7SC a couple of years ago with the brass/copper aftermarket replacement and put the ORANGE stuff in it. Then I read or heard about the corrosive effects of the ORANGE stuff on brass/copper I thought on this web site. I immediately throughly flushed out the ORANGE stuff and put the GREEN stuff in. I just replaced the radiator in my 94 SC with a brass/copper aftermarket direct replacement and put the GREEN stuff in. Supposedly the ORANGE stuff does not affect aluminum radiators.

The reason I asked the question is not SC related. I'm installing a fresh water cooling system on my Chevy 454 in my Scarab boat with a brass/copper heat exchanger. I just wanted to be sure that I was not screwing up by using the ORANGE stuff. GREEN stuff is going in!

Ed Springer

90 Black XR7 5-speed: 139,340 miles, 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, '94 Supercharger Upgrade, 36# injectors, 190 l/h fuel pump, 5% SC Pulley, Raised SC Top, I/C Fan, Underdrive Pulleys, Headers, Magnaflow Muffler (no cats) with stock resonators, 3:27 Gears, Ripper Shifter, 73 CL MAF, Magnacore Wires, NGK Iridium Plugs, Royal Purple Synthetic Lubricants.

94 Red SC Auto: 89,560 miles, 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, Stock 90 SC Pulley, 38# injectors, 190 l/h fuel pump, Raised SC Top, I/C Fan, Underdrive Pulleys, Headers, Raven Muffler (no cats) with stock resonators, 3:73 Gears, 73 CL MAF, Magnacore Wires, NGK Iridium Plugs, TRANSGO Shift Kit, Haydon Auxiliary Transmission Cooler, ProTorque 2500 TC, Royal Purple Synthetic Lubricants, American Racing 17” Sniper Wheels, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, 235 RWHP at 315 LBS. FT. Torque.

Back