3.8 Motor to SC Motor help

TBird204

I was thinking of converting my 3.8 N/A To a Supercharged Can someone let me Know what i'd have to buy and if it's possable/worth it, I baught a T-bird last year and I love it but I need some more hp. If someone can give me a quick heads up that would be great. I know the basic parts (supercharger DUH, piping Throttle body intercooler Computer mabye) But how about the little stuff????

Thanks alot for your help

You would do much better to swap in a 5.0. It is much easier, less expensive, and has more potential. :)

You could bolt on a vortech or something like that. But the N/A 3.8 heads, and guts won't hold up to the M90.

This question gets asked about once a week - do a search and you can find the list of everything that's different between the N/A and the SC 3.8, it's a long list. Might as well sell your bird and buy an SC, there are plenty for sale, not expensive.

that guy is right, it's easier to go with a 5.0 or something, unless you get a donor sc. if so, that's a great way to resurrect a great car, but plan of it being a toy or a project for a while.

Yea. Bad idea

SC 3.8 has the hardened crank, forged pistons, etc.. N/A cant take the pressures exherted by the SC blower..5.0 is a good idea though ;)

Rick in FL :cool:

3.8 L vs 3.8 L SC

I too once believed in the SC swap. What if, what if......

http://www.sccoa.com/articles/everwonder.php

However I too eventaully heard the voice of reason and realized it probably wasn't worth it. Technically you probably could make it work if you underdrove the supercharger until it was down to AT LEAST 9 psu but even then you would run into very high costs for parts such as the EEC, rewiring, etc., the list goes on.

My suggestion is to either buy an SC if you want to be a true SC OR be like me come up with one crazy *** scheme to boost your bird. Right now I would likely suggest to just work on the small things first. If it's an 89, your first mod should be to convert from MAP to MAF if you want to go the forced induction route on your 3.8 . However I would definnetly support the 5.0 swap above all if you're lookin' for the cheapest idea. Keep in mind though that it will require a great deal of no how and it's not just the engine you would have to swap. Good luck with whatever you choose. Email me if you've got any other questions.

Thanks for the insight guys, 5.0 sounds the way to go I'm going to start doing my research, I do have some know how but im hoping you guys can give me some help through this prosess. I can probably find a 88-92 fox body block for cheap if it will work. I got a freashly rebuilt AOD trans with a shift kit I'm hoping that will work. I know i won't just be able to drop it in and voila it will take a while but it will be fun. :)

AOD of what?

What was the AOD from? If it was from a 5.0 or an SC than you'll be alright but 3.8 L AOD's are weaker (smaller, weaker overdrive servo for one). Just lettin' ya know. I'm goin' the same route as you so I feel you pain.

Yeah It's the stock 3.8 Tranny, I guess I'll need a new one of those too, I thought that the tranny's were the same SC non Sc and 5.0. Just goes to show you how much i have to learn!

Replyin'

So sad, so sad. That's what I use to think too. It really is the **** end of the stick for us NA 3.8. One last thing I should mention. The rear end. A 7.5" (which is another curse against us NAs) won't hold out for long with a 5.0. So that just about sums it up. Tranny and the rear end are your weak points. If you've got an AOD you're buildin' up, you can still build it to take the punishment. Their is this ebay seller who is sellin' wicked AOD rebuild parts that could give your tranny at least 300 hp of handling ability. Just look up AOD and look for a seller named Oregon transmission or something.

its not the boost that kills the NA motor its the strain put ont he crank due to 3 belts, the stock NA heads can handle the pressure just fine. There are supercharged V6 mustangs runing 12-15psi and over 400HP on those heads and crank but beefier pistons and rods of course, but with 3 belts connected tot he crank its a lot of stress thus why FORD went with the forged crank, all the other parts can handle the roots blower just fine.

OK Then

Maybe your 94+ 3.8 L can handle it but any NA 3.8 L before then was built like crap. I wouldn't dare put more than 9 psi on my 1990 3.8 L but I believe what you say how other 3.8 Ls could handle it.

Back