more octane=more boost?

dru440

guys im pretty sure that more octane wont mean more boost, but please add to my thoughts, im hoping it actually does.

Higher octane gas resists firing under compression. So the higher compression you run, the higher octane you need.

I'm not claiming to be super tech savy, but as I understand it, higher octane allows you to run higher compression (or advance the timing?) to a greater degree before you risk detonation ... which means a couple of things...

If your car is running fine now and you don't make any changes to it, switching to higher octane (such as race gas) won't accomplish anything.

If your car is running fine and you switch to a 10% pulley for example, you might need to improve the octane of your gas in order to support the extra boost (and the extra HP that comes with it)

If you advance the timing (which will also increase the HP) at some point you will also need to increase octane, or you will have too much detonation.

Just another note on gas. Here in Minnesota alot of gas stations sell gas with a percentage of ethanol. Ethanol has less energy in it so you will lose horsepower if you use it. The environmentalists claim its better for the environment, but I can't see how because you end up using more gas to do the same amount of driving. :confused:

Because

The environmentalists dislike for gasoline has little or nothing to do with the environment and everything to do with their utter hatred of the oil companies and their "hideous corporate greed". In fact if they had their way they would end capitalism altogether and we all wouldn't even be able to race horses on saturday afternoon due to the animal rights laws that they would enact.......Uh..What was the question again? :confused:

Back