Moving the Camshaft Position Sensor - Good or Bad?

edspringer

Has anyone experimented with moving the CPS around to get a little better performance, smoother idling or easier starting? I know the CPS is used for fuel injection timimg and is suppose to be set at 26° ATDC. I was just curious if anyone has done this and if so what were the results.

Ed Springer

90 Black XR7 5-speed: 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, '94 Supercharger, 5% SC Pulley, Raised SC Top, I/C Fan, Underdrive Pulleys, 190 l/h Fuel Pump, 36# Injectors, Headers, Magnaflow Muffler (no cats) with stock resoantors, 3:27 Gears, Ripper Shifter, 73 CL MAF and Magnacore Wires, NGK Iridium Plugs.

94 Red SC Auto: 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, Stock 90 SC Pulley, Raised SC Top, I/C Fan, Underdrive Pulleys, 190 l/h Fuel Pump, 38# Injectors, Headers, Raven Muffler (no cats) with stock resoantors, 3:73 Gears, 73 CL MAF, Magnacore Wires, NGK Iridium Plugs, TRANSGO Shift Kit, ProTorque 2500 Stall TC, Haydon Auxiliary Transmission Cooler, American Racing 17” Sniper Wheels, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Tires, 235 RWHP and 315 Lbs.Ft. Torque.

I wouldnt mess with it, you can really screw things up. If you want to adjust timing or anything get an eec tuner.

I placed mine in last year when I dropped the new motor in right before Carlisle. And would you believe I was way off. And you could tell too. I couldn't figure out for the life of me why I couldn't get the car to run. Then once I did, I made an adjustment & the car just felt plain old funny. However, it had full power under load. I mean full power. I drove it out to Carlisle the next day & it almost felt like tooooo much fuel at tip-in, but after that it would blast with power like nobody's business. I had Brian Herron tune it & he couldn't figure it out either.

Got back & my buddy said "what the hel, why not get the tool that ford uses & try it" ... Welp, it smoothed everything out. The idle & everything.

My assessment is that it's pretty important to get it in right.

Anthony

Back