Passenger Window Disconnected . . . Please help for sake of sanity

LXSC

:mad: (Insert various profanitity here) :mad:

I have repeatedly been trying to reconnect the passenger side window clips (clips located inside the fenderwall that hold the window and move it up and down) with no luck. I've used epoxy and sanding (hardener and resin stuff) and have been searching for other means of fixing this pain in the ***. Does anyone have some experience or suggestions for this problem? Thanks`

I used the strongest epoxy I could find, I think its 2000psi or something like that. Works fine for me even though it said it wouldnt work on some kinds of plastic. I put it on the clips and put the window on, rolled it up as tight as it would go, then let it sit there for 2 days.

If you are talking about keeping the window in the 2 clips that attach to the regulator........... use a Urethane adhesive (like Pro-Form), available at any parts store. Same stuff that holds your windshield in place.

JB Weld?

Do they make JB Weld for glass and plastic? I know I've got some but its for metal.

??

Are we talking about the plastic retaining clips at the bottom of the regulator here??????? :confused:
Rick in FL :cool:

If we are

A freind of mine fashioned himself some new ones out of aluminum because the epoxy sticks better to metal...worked like a charm :D

Rick in FL :cool:

I have used 3M Channel Bond successfully. You have to find the aftermarket aluminum replacement u channels to replace the plastic factory channels as nothing seems to glue to the original plastic. I also rough up the glass area with coarse sandpaper just where you will glue.

3M™ Automix™ Channel Bonding and Sidelite Adhesive 08641, 2 oz , 6 per case

3Mglue.jpg

I have tried 2000 psi epoxy, JB Weld, and windshield urethane, and they all failed. So far this is the only stuff I would recommend. I would like to get another tube so if somebody has to order a 6 pack, I'll buy one. I'm looking for the metal clips as well. All the glass places around here want to sell the complete glass. They used to carry the metal replacement clips, but that was about 2 years ago. Let me know if you can get some.

Jerry

Anyone tried rubber?

Is the failure of the adhesive due to fracturing? Is so, rather than looking for something stronger and harder, maybe it would be worth looking for something with just a bit of give. Like say, an old rubber inner tube?
Just a thought.

I also wonder if there isn't something else causing a problem. As it is, the weight of the glass is supported by the clips. That weight (force) makes the glass always want to drop down. If nothing is causing it to bind, then when the window is rolled down, there is essentially little to no force on the clips and hence the adhesive. The force on the clips is applied to raise the glass, not to lower it. On my doors, I've never had a problem and the times that I've had the doors apart and lubed the tracks, I've seen that the glass lines up and moves without any binding in the channels. There is a felt bumper which can be adjusted which might affect this and the side channels can be adjusted as well. :)

Mine have failed because of high heat or in the winter when a passanger tries to roll the window down even though it's iced up (idiots). The factory is a crear urethane looking glue. The problem is I tried black urethane glue (all I could find in this town) and it didn't hold. Of course that was before I got the aftermarket metal clips to replace the plastic factory ones.

Jerry

LOL.. No, I know what will work the best... Any kids sugary breakfast cereal and milk. Drench the cereal with the milk, insert and let dry.. will form a rock hard bond. At least it does that on carpets. :rolleyes:

you could also try cleaning the plastic glass retainers and glass where they meet with alcohol, then use automotive urethane (fast cure type will cure completely in 24 hrs and is very strong) gun it into the plastic holders, insert the glass, power the window up tight and leave it there for a cpl days to be sure

My theory is that your inner and/or outer beltline moldings probably need to be replaced. Mine have none of the felt-like material left on them where they touch the glass. When I reattached both of my windows to the clips I lowered the "felt bumpers" and pryed the metal flange for the inner beltline molding inboard to reduce the drag on the window. This was right after I had the windows tinted. There is a lot of drag between the tinted windows and the beltline molding rubber.

Any info on the metal replacement clips??? I need to do my drivers side again, I still have not replaced my beltline moldings to prove or disprove my theory.

89psychobird said:
My theory is that your inner and/or outer beltline moldings probably need to be replaced. Mine have none of the felt-like material left on them where they touch the glass. When I reattached both of my windows to the clips I lowered the "felt bumpers" and pryed the metal flange for the inner beltline molding inboard to reduce the drag on the window. This was right after I had the windows tinted. There is a lot of drag between the tinted windows and the beltline molding rubber.

Any info on the metal replacement clips??? I need to do my drivers side again, I still have not replaced my beltline moldings to prove or disprove my theory.

I need info on replacement clips also!

Thanks!

I used JB Weld first in the clips and glass and let it set for a day, then a layer around the plastic clips with 3M Silicone and let it sit another day. If its cold where you are do this inside.

Back