huge oil leak

specops_SC

i recently bought a 91 aod sc with 163,000 miles on it. the car drives great and the body is pretty straight. supercharger sounds good as well. my problem is a huge oil leak i cant pin point. its not coming out of the exhaust. i used my hand to push on the gas pedal while i looked underneath the car and the higher the rpm, the larger the leak until its just a constant stream. i was told it could be the timing cover is cracked or just the gasket. any one have any ideas? i want this car running so i can start doing the good stuff to my 90 :D

what area

what area??? front, top or back. there are only a few sections it comes from. higher rpms could be: ->front - timing cover, oil pump, front seal (all should be replaced at the same time) -> side - oil dipstick, oil pan gasket
->back - rear main seal, or a small part of the oil pan gasket, like maybe where it meets the rear main seal -> valve covers can leak everywhere. be careful whith oil leaks on the top rear, i am a 82 trans am catch on fire because of a valve cover gasket leaking.

if you replace your timing cover, if you have the money, be ready to replace the water pump, gears, oil pump, oil pan if it's bad and be ready to have your radiator boiled. if you don't do it when you have it off, you will be doing a lot of extra work when it finally does go out and you have to take it off again. also, if it is the timing cover, this is IMPORTANT.... you don't HAVE to take the oil pan off if you don't want to. this doubles the time of the job. i didn't find this out until i was done removing the subframe. it is a bitch of a job. but if your oil pan is bad, that is the time to fix it. oh and one more thing. i missed the line in my manual that mentioned priming the oil pump when i change my last set of gears. the ford dealership said to get a jar of vasoline/petroleum jelly and completely pack the gears of the oil pump before you put it back on, and it will prime it's self. ford uses the same thing, but it's like 10 times the price.

RE: Huge Oil Leak

Help to know where it's comming out...the faster the engine turns the faster the oil is pumped thus the faster the return..Probably why it increases at Higher RPM's...I would say either sending unit or front or rear main seal....

Rick in FL :cool:

it definitely comes out of the front of the engine and drips constantly when the engine is off. if its the sending unit do i need a new packing or something for it?

Make sure you have the right oil filter and also check to see if the oil cooler is tight. They come loose some times when you take off the oil filter. It could also be the oil pan itself. When the motor mounts go the pan hits the sub frame and could rub till you have a hole in it. Jack it up use a good llight and crawl under. Its the only way to tell

Last edited:
specops_SC said:
it definitely comes out of the front of the engine and drips constantly when the engine is off. if its the sending unit do i need a new packing or something for it?

No, you just go to an auto parts store and buy a new one. They are like 12.00 bucks for these cars, if that is the problem.

i just read my original post and i realized i wrote about smoke coming out of the exhaust. i mustve been thinking about burning oil. lol. anyways, thanks for the suggestions.. looks like im beat for now. guess i'll take it to the shop along with my 90 saturday. got my intercooler gaskets from tbird88 :D i'll post what i find this weekend.

Back