Very strange problem

kenewagner

I have everything reassembled from my winter project but the car idles very rough. I have not even driven other than to move it from one stall to another at my shop. I have one of my mechanics working on it. He showed me a problem that makes no sense to me. A hose, connecting piping from the blower to the FMIC actually is collasping when the car is running. (See picture) Since it is the tube from the blower it should be under pressure not vaccumm. Makes no sense to me. I need some fresh outlook as to what the problem. I will post picture shortly as it was to big a file and needs to be reduced :confused:

Picture

Hope this picture is not to small. Hose is collasping near radiator

Attachments

• hose2.jpg
    hose2.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 276
ummmmm

That looks like the coupler that is collapsing there Ken. Is there anway you could get the piping closer to the intercooler so there is not so much space inbetween that the coupler is making up for? Maybe the coupler isn't strong enough for that much pressure. I do agree with you that it seems it should be blower out instead of being sucked in. I know I haven't been much help. Good luck with it and hope you get it figured out.

David

Make sure your bypass valve is operating properly. It might be stuck closed. In non-boosted conditions there could be vacuum in that area. The hose might be too long or not of sufficient wall thickness to handle the vacuum.

The by pass valve is working. I decided to take it out and run it hard to see if (1) It would blow up or (2) would blow out the cobwebs from sitting most of the winter. Im happy to say that the modifacations produced a strong seat of the pants improvement in power. I came back to the shop and it idled nicely while in drive but still was a little course in park. I am hoping some more drive time and the computer might remember how its suppose to idle. Will the hose that sucks in somewhat be a problem in the future?

Here's a shot in the dark, but check the plug wires.

I had the same thing last week and my problem ended up being a mixed up plug wire. It idled rough when it was first started. It would drive, but not very easy. After another problem came up (glowing cat) we checked the plug wires and found #2 and #3 mixed around. Switched them, and was damn close to a night and day difference.

Might be a shot in the dark, but something to think about. Good luck Ken

-Andy "Melon"

That brought something up

I always show a Vacuum at Idle on my boost guage. I'm always in the HG area. Then when I'm on it I'm at around 12lbs Boost max....My .02

Rick in FL :cool:

When the bypass is open (i.e. engine is not under boost), everything after the throttle plate is under vacuum. The blower is still circulating air, but it's at lower pressure than atmospheric pressure. So that's why the hose is sucking in.

Rob is right so just cut you a piece of metal tubing that fits in between the IC nipple and the IC tube with a 1/4" gap between each end and slide it into the coupling. That will support the coupling and get rid of the colapsing. ;) With the tubing slid into the coupling like that it would not be visable and would look very clean. ;) :)

That was my idea as well Mike. It is nice to be able to fall back on you guys for input. The car still idels rough but I think I need a fresh tank of gas. I ran it today and found I had dropped another 1.5 lbs of boost. At WOT the best that it showed was 8.5 lbs of boost. The less restricive FMIC and the raised top must be reducing back pressure. Guess I need to look at a 5% pully. Here is a couple of pictures of it finally done

Attachments

• SC Engine2.bmp
    199.6 KB · Views: 133
underhood fender covers

kenewagner, did you make those covers that seem to extend over the fenders in the engine bay, or is that just my eyes going bad?

Rich

Thanks David, I like the color as well. Next week i start prepping it for a new paint job. Parts of the car are not as nice as the front.

Rich: Yes I made the panels out of alum. When I moved the battery in the trunk it left a hole on the drivers side and I decided to cover that area and I liked it so well that I decided to do a matching one on the other side. I had to lower the air intake box to fit it under the panel and build a overflow tank that is now mounted next to the radiator where the old IC use to be. Overall I was happy how it turned out. They take about a minute to remove and make everything less cluttered.

Back