new sending unit raising gauge temp?

ddw350

i installed a new sending unit [for the temp gauge],also180 therm also belts.now everything seems to work,but the gauge reads hotter than it ever has.with the infrared temp gun,the fan comes on at exactly 220,i run and look at the gauge and the needle is between m and the red.it used to set at the r-m when the fan would come on.is this what it should be at? my gauge was bouncing all over the place,its fixed with the sending unit installed,but im angry with my gauge over in the hot zone.its like i needto bend the needle to the left a little bit to compensate.... i was gonna put the old unit back in...any ideas.

i noticed during my 15 mile drive tonight,the gauge never went past the n.in fact for most of the trip there was some space between the n and where the needle was.its like 55 degrees out.i guess i'll livewith the gauge moving past the m before the fan comes on...

If I knew what resistance to use to calibrate it, I'd pass it on. But, one thing you can do is to get about a 5 Ohm trim potentiometer from an electronics store, like Radio Shack, and insert it inline at the sensor, then adjust it when the fan comes on to read where you think it should.
To do this right, you'll need a couple of lengths of wire and some crimp on, or solder, connectors. I can draw up something if you need a diagram of what I'm talking about. :)

sensors

when sensors are made they are made with a 20% variance that is acceptable-so the new one could read differently by as much as say-1/5 of the range of the gauge-lol. good luck. Mike.

funny you should mention the resistor..i have one on my s-10 and gmc.the ford doesnt seem to work with my others.with the resistor in..it barely moves off the blue.i'll go to radio shack and get some with less resistance and try it.im shooting for fan on with the needle on the m[which where it used to be].i was just wondering what you guys thought about it...thanks,i'll keep youposted when i get a new resistor that works...

Back