Uh Oh!! Smelling gas

Sweet90SC

Came back from lunch today and started smelling gas so I parked popped the hood couldn't see anything but strong smell of gas :confused: Any Ideas????

Thanks Rick in FL :cool:

Where to look

Get under the rear passenger wheel and look up at the front of the gas tank. See if there is any indication of dripping gas. Start the car and see if there is a trickle leak at that point.

There was a recall on early SC's involving gas leaking. Apparently the nylon gas line rubs against the chasis and rubs through causing a leak. The recall was to check the line and either replace it or slide a sleeve over it to prevent the rub through.

My mechanic repaired this leak for me by installing a reinforced fuel line from a BMW.

Also check the fuel filter. It may be old and leaking or if recently changed, the connection could be leaking.

I've also seen posts regarding a leak at the fuel pump.

Best bet - do a search of the site and jack the SC up - follow your nose!!

Mark
'93 SC

Ah Hah!!

Went over some rough railroad tracks today with windows up air going and WHEW!!!! Glad I don't smoke!...car would've gone up like a bomb!....It's obvious we got a leaksie somewhere around the ole tank there! :eek: Time to roll out the ole floor jack and do some crawlin :D ...

Rick in FL :cool:

Back