Help Please

lmatl

:confused: I recently had a check engine light come on. My car is a 96 Thunderbird LX with the 4.6 engine. My car is dealer maintained for the large jobs so I thought I'd have them pull the code and do the repair. They came back to me with a $400 service ticket. The reprogrammed the computer to latest code(I maintain that should be free if the old code is faulty and it must be or they wouldn't need new revisions, hehe) and they cleaned the mass airflow sensor. They claimed that the "check engine code" shows my catalatic converter emmisions to be high. How the hell can this be when there is no sensor past the catalatic converter to measure this???? Sound like gooofy, bad science to me. Anyway the car was delivered back to me with the check engine light off and now it has come back on. I'm screwed because I can't get my car inspected and I'm a one car family with 5 children. They say that the next step is to buy new catalatic converters for $1200 parts and labor. They tell me that the aftermarket coverters only have 2 chamber and will fail emmissions because they are less effective. I feel a big srewing comming on here by the dealership, the cops, or the judge... What to do? Is there an aftermarket computer available that doesn't deliver all of the bogus error conditions in the form of a check engine light? I know my car will pass exhaust inspection handily, it has done so every year that I've owned it. Can the sensors be adjusted? Any other modifications that might make the light go off? The car drives like new but has become worthless to me because of a stinking light bulb... I need imediate help, thank you, Larry

cell phone 214 435-9839

My advise to you would be to go to Autozone and have them run the codes and tell you what is causing the light to come on. IT IS FREE!!!! And then you could fix it your self and save even more money.

Shane

Back