Driver Side Motor Mount... that little rubber bumpstop thing

93SuperCoupeBoy

I finally got my engine mounts changed out Wed. night, finished at 1AM. But anyways, it is 1000 times better than before, but as I was browsing this site after I have put the new mounts in, I read something about that little rubber stopper on the driver side motor mount bracket. Is that something you HAVE to have on there, we took it off when reassembling mine because it was torn apart anyways. Will this cause problems or anything? The motor doesn't move at all under the hood now compared to flopping around like a fish before. So, no matter what it helped for sure, will missing that little stopper just lead to possible going through the solid mount a bit faster possibly?

Just wonderin...

Nick

Hello. The reason that rubber bumpstop is in place is to eliminate possible false knock sensor readings caused by the metal tongue in your bracket forcibly contacting the inside top of the metal square. It is also believed these help prevent motor movement during high torque application.

They are often found in the condition that you saw when changing mounts, hence there have been efforts to replace them. I slipped thick 1 inch diameter rubber hose pieces over the tongues, and welded 1/4" metal "roofs" to the inside top of the box to prevent both false knock signals and engine movement.

What solid motor mounts did you acquire? If they are from mn12performance or SCP, I doubt you will ever have problems with them failing again.

As far as false knock is concerned, does the engine feel like timing is being pulled when you accelerate hard? If not, I wouldn't worry about it. I don't think not having bumpstops will really matter unless your car is stock or modestly modified.

This thread provides more info:
http://sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29205&highlight=motor+mounts

Hope that helps 93SuperCoupeBoy!

So...it shouldn't matter until I modify it really? I really don't want to tear the damn thing back out, but, I also don't want to end up with any problems later on down the road. It gives no problems right now, just rides quiter, smoother and much better than w/ the nice factory 2 piece mounts :D (wait...they are supposed to be 1 piece)! So, if something should be put there to dampen it, what should I put/use and what should I put it over, the tounge thing, or try to set it up like the stock little thingy was?

Nick

i got mine from mn12 butthey broke after a small collision :( maybe i got a bad hatch anyways im getting my new ones from mn12 again

mount bracket

You would be doing yourself a favor to find someway to limit the range of travel of the mount bracket. My new mn12 mount on the driver side had tore almost completelyl in half after 15 thousand miles. Without some kind of travel stop, the mount is exposed too much force and movement.

I found some rubber slab material (1/4 inch thick) at the hardware store, then glued a couple layers together and glued/wired this rubber slab to the metal tongue on the mount bracket. Top of the tongue on the driver side, bottom of the tonge on the passenger side. This too will probably deteriorate over time and require attention.

There are a variety of different solutions to this problem. It just depends on the materials and tool at your disposal.

good luck
Bob

Back