PDA

View Full Version : Questions on Steering Rack

syphon
04-17-2004, 07:26 PM
I'm losing a lot of Power Steering fluid down on my steering rack, and I was hoping you guys could answer some questions.

First, what is the large bolt seen in this picture? This is taken from the front underneath the car. The reason I ask, is that it appears I'm leaking PS fluid from the passenger side bolt here. Also, when I turned it with a wrench, it was loose, almost like it was stripped out (it wouldnt tighten) however the driver side bolt seems ok.

The drivers side has other problems, however. The little boot on the end there (you can see part of it in the picture on the left) appears to have a big leak where the hose clamp is. Is this difficult to replace? What do I describe it as when ordering a new one?

http://home1.gte.net/res0ibjw/rack.jpg

MercsSC
04-18-2004, 08:32 AM
is just a mounting bolt..with a nut on the other side ..and can be a real pain to get at ..but needs to be tight..don't want any movement in the rack ...you really need to find where the fluid is comming from ......if it is coming out by the boot ..on driverside then...the end seal is shot...and inner tie rods... will have to come out on passenger side and driver side ...to slide out what they call the rack out passenger side ....to get a new seal on driverside...and I don't know if you can do it ...with the rack still bolted to the car..I've never tried ....it may have to come out...to be dissasembled ....also look for a leak ...where the streering colume ...mounts to the rack ...could be leaking there ... running down on to the rack ..or from the line from the pump...and use ATF tranny fluid for powerstreering fluid ...not power streering fluid...maybe a reason the seals are starting to leak ...dave

007_SuperCoupe
04-18-2004, 11:54 AM
If your rack is leaking, you're probably going to have to replace it. The seals in the inner portion of the rack are onl y replaced during the reman process. I'm about to replace my rack and pinion in the next couple weeks because of the exact same issue. Good news is that you can get a reman unit for about $90 or so if you shop around.