The Quickest SC, here it is.

Mike Puckett

SCCoA Member
I had seen this SC at Fun Ford Weekend before and now with some consideration being given to non 3.8 SC's I borrowed one of their timeslips and took some photos of the car. I wasn't able to get an action shot (I was in staging myself) but here are some still shots. This 'highly' modified SC sports a 572 cubic inch Ford V8. This 9.687/134mph run here today is just scratching the surface of the cars potential as it's capable of running in the 7's. The car is owned by Kurt & Laurie Whitley (driven or should I say piloted by Laurie) of Hendersonville, NC who were gracious enough to allow me to borrow this time slip to copy. They can be seen at various Fun Ford Weekends around the country at tracks such as Gateway, Bristol, & Houston. The gray front paint scheme is new for this year as the car was originally a black SC. The rear end was tubbed out several years ago and the body altered to conform to it's new roll. If I go tomorrow I'l try to get some more photos.

Attachments

• Quickest SC 1.jpg
    Quickest SC 1.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 210
  • Quickest SC 2.jpg
    Quickest SC 2.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 192
  • Quickest SC 3.jpg
    Quickest SC 3.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 278
  • quickest SC 4.jpg
    quickest SC 4.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 208
The quickest SC? I don't know about that. I think I have a picture around here somewhere of a 8 sec. SC. It's in one of my old MM&FF mags. I'll see if I can find it. That SC is still cool though. :D

bad-a$$!!! Are those lights real or decals? It's not street-legal right? Nice tho...I want that 572ci in my sc too!!!!! :-D Know any more about the car?

The way the SC/XR7 bar is being constantly raised around here; in 3 years, we're gonna need one of those things to reach the top 10. :D

But they won't allow it on the list....

John, for years they have said it has to be a 3.8 style engine to make the list. Plus they want that "IRS" still in place as well.... If they would ever change the rules, you will see some time slips that will really blow the list away...Heck, even with the few guys that are now building "small" blocks it could get really crazy... Do you really think that they are going to let the "big" block cars post times as well?? I don't think so,I posted some times a long while ago, and still they are fast forgotten.........Rich

Do you really think that they are going to let the "big" block cars post times as well?? I don't think so,I posted some times a long while ago, and still they are fast forgotten.........Rich

Rich- Are you saying that you sent slips to George and he refused to post them?

I find that hard to believe. I think George would post your slips in the list or some list. I would suggest submitting them again.

Mike- It would be kewl if you could get that guy to visit and/or join our site.
It would be nice to see some cars like that in the top 10.
Gary

PS I think I could take him!

Here we go again..Not to sound redundant but anyone can make power out of a SBF...If anything make a separate list for v8 cars

Anyone remeber when Nascar had REAL production type cars running?
Since when did they make 2 door v8 rear wheel drive Tauruses anyway..

8ate8 said:
eh, it's not really an SC to me... it's just another tbird with a huge v8 shoved into it.

Whats wrong with that? I would like to see a new list tracking the progress of altered SCs.

I wonder if the guys on the Corvette boards would shun the 2003 Vette I saw last night with the twin turbo 427 Lingenfelter engine? Talk about a sleeper.......

time slip was posted.......

Gary, the slip was posted a while ago, I think before George took over. There was a thread going and someone asked what I was able to get out of a stock 460. Well it was posted up and at that time I said that it could be added to the list, but that never happened... There was some talk at that time about making another list, but that too fell by the way side after a lot of posts on the subject.... This is not a real big deal to me, I know how fast you can make a stock body SC go with a stock 460, and with a modded 460. Then if you really want you just add more cubies and go even faster... I also know how fast you can make something that looks like a SC go as well...It all depends on how much $$$$$ you want to play with........There is a SC around here that got a transplant and he is in the top Pro Mod class at the track.... So it goes to show, the more $$$$$ you spend the faster you can get to the end of the track............Rich.

I talked to Kurt again today. The car is a 91 they bought from a police impound lot with the motor stolen out of it. The rear sheetmetal, lights, roof, door skins, floorpan, etc is from the original car. The front end is fiberglass and kifts off. I didn't get to see the motor so I can't tell you much about it. One of the slicks went flat on the trailer during the trip and broke the ground effects in front of the wheel. He was checking mine out in the staging lanes to see what the original ground effects looks like so he can replace it. I saw Laurie win her 1st round and then lose in the second running just a tic above her 9.74 dial-in both times. I walked off and left my camera at home and didn't get an action shot but I got one of their promo photos with the old paint scheme. I did talk to them about the SCCoA and web site and issued an invitation to the shoot out along with a copy of the bbs post that Chris made showing the time and track. They are familiar with Norwalk, may indeed have that date open and they would consider it. That might be a big enough draw to attract MM&FF's attention, you think? I've got their e-mail address so they can be followed up on.

The photo exceeded the 200k limit so I've shrunk it up a bit to fit. Here's a burnout with the old paint scheme.

Attachments

• quickest SC 5.jpg
    quickest SC 5.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 157
I second that an SC is only an SC in my book if it still retains the 3.8 and I agree that anyone can make insane power from a SBF but it takes talent to get a 3.8 to smoke one. I like the 3.8 in the SC and I think they should retain their original style engine. An SC just isnt an SC without the Supercharged 232. I wouldnt buy an SC with a V8, if I wanted a V8 bird then Id just look for a LX V8.

Back