Transmission trouble

b00stedv6biRd

I know a pretty good amount about cars. But I know diddly about trannies.

This started yesterday. I will come to a stop...and my car goes into neutral, it's an AOD by the way. I give it some gas and it takes it's time to go into gear..enough time that I've been honked at a couple times. Then at low speeds it slips into neutral again, then into gear.

I have come up with the possible problems with my knowledge.

1. My car just rolled 63k and might need a tranny service?
2. Torque converter is going south
3. I was having a problem with the starter bindix not retracting and rubbing against the flywheel, maybe it wore some teeth off and it's not catching the tranny?

All help is greatly appreciated.

If the problem is a cheap one..whoever gets it right get's a money order for some beer :)

Thanks

-Duane

Did you check your tranny flid level? Does it smell burnt?

Your flywheel teeth have nothing to do with the tranny. They are there for the simple purpose of the starter gear to engage onto them and turn the motor over, to start it.

I'll guess

You have a bad vacume on the motor... Your car is haveing problems downshifting...Some times it doesn't even down shift to 1st cause with all that tork it is easy to start in second... These are just guesses by the way... When you come to a stop... Then press the excellerater... You feel it down shifting this takes time you feel the grumble.. You just lost 2 10ths of a second and to make matters worse a ricer just destroyed your 60 ft time... Sounds like a high milage trans that is worn out...The cooler the trans fluid the better it works... When the oil heats up it slips even more... These are common aod probs... Back in the day a tech told me I shoud let a super coupe warm up a quick 10 minutes before you even drive it... Make sure all is flowing...

Get a rebuild I have been hearing some horrible storys about junyard trans these days... I couldn't imaging spending 500 on something that is worn. Hey it is something in the mean time... \

I wouldn't think the flywheel is worn... Unless you were doing some major high RPM reving... Ya never know tell ya check... Good Luck

fluid!

don't drive your car until you check and top off your tranny fluid. It's very easy if you have a transmission funnel. 1.99 or so? Sounds like you do need a tranny service, but low fluid, which it definitely sounds like you have, will kill your tranny even faster than it may be dieing. And yes the flywheel gear does not drive your car.

For some reason I've always thought the flywheel had something do to with the tranny. Don't ask why. As for fluid..I was low..I'm going to go get some here in a couple minutes...then I'm driving to Speedee Lube to get a Tranny service..and an oil change since I'm there.

I'll let you know if that solves the problem or not..

Thanks again guys

-Duane

Back