Airride Coil Spring Air Bags

SuperCoupeSC91

someone told me that i was suposed to take the bumpstop out of the rear coil springs (because i didnt, and i didnt know untill about a week or 2 ago) when i did my both airbags, just wondering if it'd be better or worse to leave them in ? and why ? Thanks Alex L

I believe the air bags themselves have bases that the bag is attached to. If you leave the bump stops in there at the same time you loose wheel travel in in the suspension setup.

I just put air bags in my self. if it's an 89-92 car it will have bump stops if it's 93-97 it will not have bump stops. Thats why there is 2 part numbers for air bags 89-92 bags are 4"X4" where the 93-97 is a 4"X5" bag since there is no bump stops. If you have put the larger bags in a car with bump stops you will have some problems with how much travel you have as well as how low it can sit. Hope that helps some.

yes my car is higher a lil, and the travel i understand is less, but is this better for performance and launching and why ? Alex L

The theory for the air bags is that they pre-load the suspension so that energy from the launch is more directly put into moving the vehicle forward rather than used to compress the suspension.

I wouldn't want to limit wheel travel. As long as wheel travel can be controled (which our SC can) more travel is better than less.

Air bags dont help much at the track since you want the rear to go low so you get all the weight back there. Air bags are need for the street so the car is not to low.

someone told me that i was suposed to take the bumpstop out of the rear coil air springs (because i didnt, and i didnt know untill about a week or 2 ago) when i did my both airbags, just wondering if it'd be better or worse to leave them in ? and why ? Thanks Alex L

What you did was the right thing to do. If you didn't remove the bumstop I think it will have a bad effect on the airbags.

Back