Power Window Motors

Mike8675309

Can the motors in the power windows be rebuilt, or are they pretty much throw away items when they fail? Anyone had success with the motors and sourced parts for them?

Thanks

Do a search and some people here have rebuit the motors.
I have replaced a few over the years. I tried the rebuilt ones, but they did'nt have any oomph to put the windows up and down. Switched the rebuilt one over to a brand new one and....like night and day the new ones are, well, like new.
Fast up and down.
Stay away from rebuilt electrical parts. Only new. :)

my drivers side motor went out before and i just went to the junkyard and got one. make sure if you get one from the junkyard you test it. find a working battery and just hook it up to the motor. mine is still workin strong.

I have rebuilt mine, and the only thing wrong with both of them were plastic pieces inside the motor. There are three little plastic wedges that make the gears turn to make the window go up. These pieces were shattered into pieces making my windows not go up or down. Auto stores sell a rebuild kit for them that consist of the gears and the little plastic pieces. But if the gears are good, you can get those little plastic cylinders in the need help section or the hard to find bolts and stuff like that in your local auto zone or advanced auto. The kit is 30 bucks with the gears and the little plastic pieces are only about 3 or 4 dollars. Hope that helps. IF you need help email at gotboostsc@yahoo.com

Junkyard is always an option. But I'd like to fix it if possible. Electric motors rarely are "trashed" when they stop working. Sometimes it can be a simple case of new brushes.

The issues come from enclosure design or how it's put together making it nearly impossible to get back together properly once you pull it apart.

I've read all the posts regarding the motors here before, and in nearly all the cases the issue was in regards to the motor "drive" failing. I'm thinking my motor drive is fine, but the motor itself is weak.

I'm going to pull the door panel apart this week and remove the motor to verify the drive is good. I'll also check to make sure the track is well lubricated. It's possible that a sticky track plus a less than 100% motor is all that is wrong.

Thanks.

Back