Low Idle When Warm....

1fastscinpa

Still fighting with my SC. The car idles OK when it is cold, but when it warms up it has a low (500 or less) idle while in gear, the car is a Automatic. Vaccum is at 19 inches out of gear and 15 inches in gear. Was thinking of changing either the crank sensor or cam sensor. If anyone else has had this problem, please share your fix...this is driving nuts...Thanks, Jeff :(

on the throttle body there is this rubber cap pull it off and get an allen key and u can adjust the idle from there... hope it helps... ur vacuum seems normal and so does everything else...

remember if u screw it clockwise ur idle will rise if u turn it counter clockwise it will lower ur idle... good luck man

Fuel econmy torque converter

Hey there,
If you try that other method and it still does the same thing then you have what is called a fuel efficiency torque converter.. You would have to get a higher stalling converter to bring up idle, when put into gear. Other wise this is natural for the low idle. Mine does the same thing.

I have been having the same problem wit the low idle. I tried to adjust the TB screw, but it is just a stud without any kind of head on it?? I put a 8mm nut on the bottom of it to press down on the throttle plate a little but it only raises the idle when in park and netural. When I put it in reverse or drive, it is the same still?? This sucks.

mine does the same. idle's at a beautiful 750 in park or N but stumbles around 500rpm in gear. is this a result of a non lockup torque converter?

I went through this problem 2 months ago but my SC AOD would not only idle at 500 but it would stall at stop lights if in gear. I fixed all of the vacuum leaks but it stayed the same. I replaced the crank sensor and now everything is normal. Good luck

vancouverBC said:
I went through this problem 2 months ago but my SC AOD would not only idle at 500 but it would stall at stop lights if in gear. I fixed all of the vacuum leaks but it stayed the same. I replaced the crank sensor and now everything is normal. Good luck

Were you getting the infamous upshift light on the dash after it would stall? I replaced my crank sensor about 15k miles ago. My car has never stalled out however. Just a really low idle.

TbirdSCFan said:
Engine Mounts.

Already been down that road before. They are fairly new (15k miles on them), and are the solid ones from MN12 Performance. I inspected them recently, and as far as I can tell, they are properly positioned. I have only had this problem for about the last 4-6k miles.

bigcletus94: During the low idle and stalling at stop lights, I only got the "UP-SHIFT" light once, but it did restart about an hour after I got that light though. I just installed a new one under my own terms rather than on the side of the road or in some stange parking lot in the cold rain.
Good luck

Back