SAD 1/8 mile times.

james5275

Well, for the first time I took my 89 5 speed to the 1/8 mile drags at qualcomm stadium. I had an awsome time but I'm frustrated with my cars times. Best 60' time- 2.419. Best ET- 10.000 @ 70.86. I had to fight like crazy to prevent wheel hop. The car is all stock except flowmaster mufflers (deleted stock muffler). If I didnt feather the clutch lightly I had to lift. Any advice? I heard starting in 2nd will help but will that put a lot af strain on other drivetrain parts? I found last night the left motor mount is broke, maybe that caused the wheel hop, or wheel hop broke the mount....hmmmmm. But I still had a good time. Cant wait to shave time off that clock. JJ

That's not too bad of a time for a stock SC.

A 10.000 1/8th ET roughly equates to a 15.600 1/4 Mi ET.

Practice a little and work on your launch and I'm sure you'll run at least a tenth quicker in the 1/8th.

Ok I dont feel so bad now. Any tips on the launch? This bird wants to hop the wheels sooooo easily. It wouldnt be so bad if they just spun from low traction. Thanks JJ

A friend of mine just installed air bags inside the rear springs of his 91 5.0 turbo T-bird which eliminated wheel spin in his car. I think he got them from Summit for $50. He said its the best investment yet to hold the rear down on the track.

Right now Im not worried about wheel spin, Im trying to eliminate the wheel hop, which will eventually break some parts. thanks, JJ

Back