PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Fun!?

acb92sc
04-18-2004, 10:36 PM
Well, my tranny decided it just didnt want to go on any longer. On my 2-3 shift, i let out the clutch and.... nothing. Just seemed like it was in neutral. So down it came. Such a joy. Input shaft now resides in two different places: Front half in the flywheel, back half in the tranny. 7 hours later and one of the other trannys is back in. But heres my real point; Why are my gears grinding only occasionally, especially in the 2-3 shift. Did it in the old tranny and the new one. Sometimes it shifts like a dream, others, that lovely noise we all dread and no gear grabbing for me. i have a new master and slave cylinders, hydraulic line, and a Spec Stage 2 clutch. B&m Ripper currently resides up top. Clutch is fully bled, can see the pressure plate being fully depressed. Any ideas before my next tranny bites the dust?

RedSCSpeedster
04-18-2004, 11:13 PM
paul here, did you put in a new pilot bearing in, and did you use a brass or ballbearing type, i found that the ballbearing type can cause problems, some times it will cause input shaft to keep turening, like the cluch was not disengaged

acb92sc
04-18-2004, 11:17 PM
unfortunately the ballbearing type. can u get the brass type from local parts stores or do have to order one? who carries them for ordering?

RedSCSpeedster
04-18-2004, 11:48 PM
You can get one from your local parts store or trans shop..

scbird1
04-19-2004, 12:11 AM
You should have got a new brass one with your spec 2 clutch kit. I did

acb92sc
04-21-2004, 11:22 AM
No new one with clutch kit, thought it odd, but went and got bearing type from Autozone. Called SPEC and they told me their kits dont have one. Frankly, Im incredibly displeased with this whole thing, their service, etc. And by the way, how heavy is your clutch pedal to push? mines stiffer than a priest in a boyscout troop. (haha). i have to get this fixed-- my car is getting to be a chore to drive rather than fun.

scbird1
04-21-2004, 08:16 PM
They are a little stiff but you wouldn`t want the clutch to slip with all that torque. If they slip the clutch goes up in smoke.

HSKR
04-21-2004, 09:11 PM
No new one with clutch kit, thought it odd, but went and got bearing type from Autozone. Called SPEC and they told me their kits dont have one. Frankly, Im incredibly displeased with this whole thing, their service, etc. And by the way, how heavy is your clutch pedal to push? mines stiffer than a priest in a boyscout troop. (haha). i have to get this fixed-- my car is getting to be a chore to drive rather than fun.

My Spec clutch I got through the group buy came with a brass bearing. I left the roller bearing in there though since it seemed to me it woudl work better than a solid bras one, and I didn't want to bother trying to pull the old one out.

RedSCSpeedster
04-21-2004, 10:02 PM
yaa i have one of those hard to push clutches too, i have one sc with a spec 2 clutch in my 90 and a stock new clutch in my 91 sc, and the 91 sc works just as good my 90 sc and is softer, both have 10% under drive pullys, and high flow exhaust, and headers, and engine mods like over bore 30 over and port and polish heads, and the clutch in the 91 sc dos not slip, so a spec 2 clutch may be more than u need..

HSKR
04-22-2004, 12:48 AM
yaa i have one of those hard to push clutches too, i have one sc with a spec 2 clutch in my 90 and a stock new clutch in my 91 sc, and the 91 sc works just as good my 90 sc and is softer, both have 10% under drive pullys, and high flow exhaust, and headers, and engine mods like over bore 30 over and port and polish heads, and the clutch in the 91 sc dos not slip, so a spec 2 clutch may be more than u need..

Just installed the SpecII clutch today. Definitly stiffer pedal than what I had before(supposedly it was changed once) and it releases a lot sooner. My old one you had to push it to the florr to disengage the clutch and shift. Haven't got a chance to drive it yet, just sat in the car and played with the clutch. Starting in on headgaskets tomorrow and decided to leave the exhaust off the car, which also means leaving the tranny cross member off.