help changing spark plugs

dodgetruck91

Ok, im used to chaning plugs on mid 80s chevy trucks. then i buy this beast and have no idea how to get to plugs. any info would be great. thanks all.

I get all but one from under the car. The front passenger side just under the intake hose needs to gotten out from the top. Its fun.

I just did mine about 2 months ago. Like previously said, all but one can be done from under the car. You will have to do this by feel since you really can't see them. For the passanger side front take the radiator overflow tank out also, this will make alot more room to work. I got to all plugs with a 3/8" ratchet, various extentions, and universal joint. What really helped the most was cutting my pinky figer off with a bandsaw for that little extra room. :D

get a spark plug socket with a swivel already attached. they are pretty handy. i also did mine the same way as above. took about 2 hrs.

I managed to get all of mine from the top. Just have lots of patience, and a sparkplug socket with a universal joint attached. Make sure it also has a rubber insert so the plug doesn't fall out, and you have to go fishing.

Take off the hose between the TB and the MAF. Makes things a little easier on the Right side.

I've done my plugs a few times, averaging about 2-3 hours.

Good luck.

I replaced the plugs in both vehicles from underneath. I have Koch headers on both and got all of them. Like the previous reply said you have to be patient and have a spark plug socket with universal.

Ed Springer

90 Black XR7 5-speed: 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, '94 Supercharger, 5% SC Pulley, Raised SC Top, I/C Fan, Underdrive Pulleys, 190 l/h Fuel Pump, 36# Injectors, Headers, Magnaflow Muffler (no cats) with stock resoantors, 3:27 Gears, Ripper Shifter, 73 CL MAF, Magnacore Wires, NGK Iridium Plugs and Rear Spring Air Bags.

94 Red SC Auto: 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, Stock 90 SC Pulley, Raised SC Top, I/C Fan, Underdrive Pulleys, 190 l/h Fuel Pump, 38# Injectors, Headers, Raven Muffler (no cats) with stock resoantors, 3:73 Gears, 73 CL MAF, Magnacore Wires, NGK Iridium Plugs, TRANSGO Shift Kit, ProTorque 2500 Stall TC, Haydon Auxiliary Transmission Cooler, American Racing 17” Sniper Wheels, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Tires and 235 RWHP with 315 Lbs.Ft. Torque.

ChrisNVSC said:
I managed to get all of mine from the top. I've done my plugs a few times, averaging about 2-3 hours.

Good luck.
I would try doing most of them from underneat next time, no more than 1 hr tops.....versa your 2-3hr ordeal~

Also helps to have skinny hands. ;) Oh, and don't tighten them up very much.. 10 lbs of torque is sufficient. Oh and use antisieze on the threads, and dielectric greaseon the plug boots.

Bit more complicated than that 80s truck, isnt' it? ;) ;)

ChrisNVSC said:
I managed to get all of mine from the top. Just have lots of patience, and a sparkplug socket with a universal joint attached. Make sure it also has a rubber insert so the plug doesn't fall out, and you have to go fishing.

Take off the hose between the TB and the MAF. Makes things a little easier on the Right side.

I've done my plugs a few times, averaging about 2-3 hours.

Good luck.
If I had hands like ET I couldn't get to these plugs. I can't even get my boots off with boot pliers. Someone should have drilled holes in the fender wells on these cars. :eek:

I can top that. First time I did the plugs and wires, on the driver's side, I took the IC and IC tubes off and that side took 4-5 hours or so. On the passenger side, I took off the intake tube and disconnected the A/C hoses :eek: since my A/C was inop and empty due to a siezed compressor. Another 3-4 hours or so.

That was also my first real attempt at woking on the SC and I learned a lot from it. A plug change now takes me 45 leisurely minutes and removing and installing the I/C tubes takes me about another 30 minutes. Practice and good tips make you a lot faster.

My .02

I think we've all learned (since owning a T-bird SC) just how much we can burry our hands in that good old engine bay!

I think it was the Monza that had a V8. My buddy had one and when he changed the spark plugs (back ones), there was an access from a hole with-in the wheel wells.

I'm changing my head gaskets and was thinking of that yesterday. Have to check it out and see if it can be done..

I think it was the Monza that had a V8. My buddy had one and when he changed the spark plugs (back ones), there was an access from a hole with-in the wheel wells.

I'm changing my head gaskets and was thinking of that yesterday. Have to check it out and see if it can be done..

Once you get the heads off it's much easier to install the new plugs on the bench, I'm just saying...lol

Back