ABS pump/motor leak question

lgarner

My HCU is leaking and I need a 2nd opinion on the source of the leak. I think it's leaking from the pump/motor interface, but I'm not sure.

When I separated the pump and motor there was a lot of "gunk" in between. I don't see a seal between the motor and pump. Actually there is a "leak channel" for fluid to escape if the pump seal fails (I guess). The paint is bubbled on the bottom side of the motor.

Do you think the pump seal is gone?

It's hard to say. One common place for failure allowing a leak is the pressure switch. High pressure fluid can get by it's internal seals.

I appreciate the input, but my leak is definitely coming from somewhere on the HCU.

The inside of the valve body looks clean so no problems there. The o-ring plate that sits between the pump and the valve body may also be the culprit. I just thought it was odd to have so much gunk between the motor and pump. I guess I’ll just replace both and hope for the best.

Edit: I have a 95 bird, the is no pressure switch on the HCU.

Last edited:
Woops... You're right, you don't have that.

Your's has to be the first issue I've heard of on this board regarding the late model ABS system.

There are dyes you can get to add to hydraulic fluid that can help with detecting a leak. But from what I've been able to dig up they are not inexpensive.

sorry, no other ideas.

Back