supercharger stuff 89 sc

lbetts

one of our members used turbine oil bp2380, anyone else checked this out to find compatability. bought car in baltimore off ebay, drove it home to michigan, noticed a noice, started checking for bearings. with the stick to the ear trick, the idler pulley for the supercharer felt or sounded gritty. i changed the bearing there, but noice persisted. so i thought maybe it was coming from charger nose. looked in chilton manual and they said check oil, which is quite low. question where would u look for charger leaks, is the oil just to lube bearings or does it have another purpose, why does the stuff cost so much, can we use this turbine oil mentioned above thats only 8 bucks a quart from www.oilstores, or gm oil which is about 8 bucks for 4 oz or for which is at least twice that. thanks for any knowledge
have a great summer lorenzo

The BP oil worked fine in my 89. If you have a local regional airport, you can go there and purchase the stuff as well. It's used in light plane engines quite a bit.

Ideally you would siphon out all the old oil before putting in any new stuff. But I just used the BP oil to top off the existing oil and noticed no problems.

Back