Changin some stuff need help!

Crazyfordsc

Im changing the fuel filter and plugs and wires today, anyone tell me the best way to go about doin this? Ive done it in my other cars plenty of times but a sc way different with all that stuff in the way, any help on where to start would be great, and will the fuel filter just screw off or do I need special tools? thanx

cool, I just did all three to my SC over the last two weekends, so here are some tips! For the fuel filter you WILL need a special too. I got mine at autozone for 5 bucks. I bought the metal pliers type, not the plastic ring type and it seems like the right choice. Hopefully you can follow this part...If you are having trouble inserting the tool, take a regular pair of pliers and clamp it lightly around the line in front of the filter connection. Now insert the tool, and with another set of pliers squeeze the tool and the first set of pliers together. The first set of pliers gives you plenty to grip with the second set so you can "press" in the special tool rather than just push it. You might not need to do all that if it's the case that I messed up the connection a bit on mine by trying to force it out without the special tool! So get the tool, or be a tool.

As for the plugs and wires...
All you need to remove is the intake tube between the air box and the tb. First, when taking out the old wires, if you try to pull the wires out of, and back in between alll that spaghetti it is hard. I found it easy once I started maneuvering each wire by the open end of the boot, not by the wire end so much. On the passenger side, I couldn't get to any from underneath. I had to pry the heater hoses apart with a bar in one hand and "jam real hard" my other arm down in there. The passenger rear was the worst, but just keep at it even if you have to go 1/16 of a turn at a time it will eventually be over! ha!

Make sure to use dielectric grease on both ends of each wire, and whatever it is connecting to.

Also, I suggest putting some dielectric grease in the rubber insert in your plug wrench too, because one of the hardest things I encountered was getting the socket off the plug after inserting it!

Also there is a good article on mn12performance.com in the how-to section. Print it out and follow it, it's very helpful and has good diagrams. Don't do it without printing it out!

Good luck!

Last edited:
Back