Transmission Slipping

Seuss

My transmission started slipping in 3rd gear a couple of miles from my house several days ago. I read a thread here about checking the grommet by the throttle body and mine had pretty much disintegrated. I read that I should use a brass replacement and have installed it. Since the old part was broken and mostly missing, I wanted to see if I have the new one installed correctly before a test drive.

I have attached a picture of the new grommet. Is it installed corectly and should I check anything else prior to a test drive? Also, the transmission fluid still has a reddish tint and didn't smell burnt, so hopefully I caught it before transmission damage?

Attachments

• brassgrommet.JPG
    brassgrommet.JPG
    172 KB · Views: 137
Slipping can ruin the transmission in just a couple miles, but it really depends what is going on. I drove mine several hundred miles after the OD band started slipping, but that's different than slipping from having a mis-adjusted TV cable.

Now that you have replaced the grommet, you MUST readjust the TV cable before driving the car. This is an easy task - do a search on here and I'm sure you will find the directions.

I will read over the articles explaining how to adjust the tv cable again. If the transmission shifted fine before the grommet broke off, would the tv cable still need to be adjusted? Wouldn't the replacement brass grommet fit the same as the plastic/rubber one that broke?

fluid level

check if the fluid level is ok i had the problem when engine was cold it slipped
in first gear i checked the fluid level and it seems not ok i fild it and the problem was gone now i replaced filter and new fluid just to be sure

Seuss said:
I will read over the articles explaining how to adjust the tv cable again. If the transmission shifted fine before the grommet broke off, would the tv cable still need to be adjusted? Wouldn't the replacement brass grommet fit the same as the plastic/rubber one that broke?
Mostly depends on how long you went before you found the problem. If the TV cable had fallen off and you drove for days or weeks like that, then it could have damaged the transmission. If you caught it within a day or so and reattached it, then it should be fine. All you can do is check to see that the fluid level is right, warmed up and on level ground, and that the cable is adjusted.

For checking fluid level, is it ok to just start the car and let it idle for a few minutes? After I parked the car, I only checked to make sure the fluid was still reddish color and to make sure it didn't smell burnt. I still haven't driven it since I replaced the grommet and tv cable.

As far as adjusting the cable, I have read in several posts/articles about adjusting the cable with conflicting views. Some say you only need to have car in neutral to adjust it, while others say you need a pressure gauge. Would I be better off driving it to a transmission shop to have it adjusted?

When checking the fluid, letting it idle is fine, but I'd shift it into gear for a few seconds to get the fluid moving.

M.O., and I'll probably catch flack for saying this, is no you don't need to take it in to set the TV cable. You can set it quickly and simply by just taking it out of the grommet, pushing out the white locking clip to allow the retainer to move up/down the cable, and then reseating it and pushing the locking clip back in. Thats it.. so simple, I did it on the side of the road using a suitcase key in about 15 seconds a couple of weeks ago.
It is probably a bit better to find the mid mark like the articles suggest with it in neutral, but setting it like I did with the trans in park and engine off works just fine for getting it close.. The biggest thing and worst possible thing to do is to have the cable disconnected.

Back