troubleshooting possible vac leak...missing hose?

Shooter_Jay

Ok, among other things, my SC makes a funny noise when I punch it in park. When I punch it, before it revs, it kind of bogs/whines for 0 to 1/2 of a second and if from idle actually drops about 25rpm or so before it revs. If I rev it to close to 3k then let off then rev again when it drops to about 2k it really whines loud before it revs again. I do have a knock sensor coming wed., but it doesn't seem like the preignition though I could be wrong. So anyway I'm looking for bad hoses or whatever vacuum leaks I can find while I'm waiting for my knock sensor. It's tough to tell by my haynes manual, but there seems to be a line missing next to my bap sensor. In the picture, next to what I think is the bap sensor plug, off the same bracket, shows a hose or wire coming off next to the plug. Well next to my bap plug is a nipple with a plastic thing on it that looks like there should be a hose coming off it maybe. Anybody know what this is and where it should be connected to? Also, my crappy manual shows pictures of every tbird egr but mine, so I don't even know where my egr is to check. According to one illustration I thought I found the egr solenoid, but there was a hose going to the same cannister that said 134a lol. DAMN MONTREAL JUST SCORED!!! s.o.b. it's not my night ha! Anyway somebody please help.

Our BAP sensors do not have a vacume hose as normaly asperated do. they have a MAP sensor with a vac hose. Nothing goes to the BAP but wires. I have a EGR transducer behind my blower but I also have a 94 and the 93 has no EGR.

loose nut at the wheel, that's funny....anyway, I just came back in again. I finally found my egr, not that I can get at it! Well besides that though, I found a vacuum hose that's not connected to anything!!!

but first, scbird1 do you have the nipple next to your bap plug that has nothing hooked to it but a gray plastic piece around it? My car is a recovered salvage title(had 36k on it when I got it) and I had the motor rebuilt at 75k by a shop that really pissed me off so with those two strikes who knows what I have under there. I have been driving it now to 150k miles so it does run pretty good all this time.

Ok back to my hose connected to nothing...It has an L shape to it at the disconnected end. maybe 2.5 inches long on the short leg of the L. It looks like it should plug into something up behind the blower. It Comes out of a black plastic fitting that says VAC on it near the driver's side hood hinge and makes it about half way across the hood to behind the SC if I remember right. I took pictures if that would help, but I don't have a good place to post pics online, any suggestions there too? I tried to look to see where this hose should be connected, but it's too crowded in there without taking thiings apart, seeing as how late it is here.

Ok I'm going back out to look around some more and try to forget about my bruins getting knocked out of the playoffs by those damn canadiens again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!! !!!!!!!!!! !! ! ! !!!!!!!!! !! !!!!!!!!!!!?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!$%#$%^&#

Yep I have the same thing but as far as that other line Im drawing a blank. If you have the pic`s on your computer just click file attachments and hit browse. Once you find your pic double click and hit load thats it.

ok here are two pics. The first should be teh mystery tube...for what it's worth, I started the car and put my thumb over the open end of the tube and didn't feel any vacuum...also, the car idles and runs fairly well other than my preignition and slow shifting, and of course the brief hesitation when I punch it. It idles pretty smooth at 700-800. The tube was tucked out of sight by the way, not on top of my top like it is in the pic. Tomorrow I'm gonna rip out the cowl and see if I can see in there better. Is that as easy as it looks?

The second pic is the bap sensor, does it look like it should, I mean the little gray nipple next to the bap plug.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• mystery tube1.jpg
    mystery tube1.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 175
  • bap1.jpg
    bap1.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 194
Ok some one has been in there playing. This hose goes to direct vacume and your brakes and a host of other things are not connected to vacume. The hose that is wrong on top I think goes to the EGR transducer maked by a X. Need better picks to be sure.

Attachments

• mystery tube2.JPG
    mystery tube2.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 217
Don't take this the wrong way, but have you ever heard of a process called "Cleaning the Engine Compartment"? :p

I took a pic of mine but its to hard to see the back side

Attachments

• DVC00011.JPG
    DVC00011.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 219
Yeah, I know my engine compartment is quite dirty. I bought some degreaser a while back but didn't use it because I didn't want to hurt anything. I'm doing alot of work to my bird lately and cleaning the engine compartment is on the list!!! :D Actually I tried blowing compressed air around in there yesterday for clean up, but the crud is really caked on there after all these years of daily driving and never showing it(or cleaning it).

I'll have to take some more pics of the vac lines and post them. I should be getting a cd manual in the mail any day now, but not sure how much that will help.

I took alot of my cowl out so I get see in there better. I think I give up on getting the wiper drive assembly out, at least I can see in there better. The hose you marked with the ?, the other end is plugged into a fitting that is also connected to what I think is the pcv valve. I wish I had more time tonight, but had to go play hockey. I'll take some pictures tomorrow. More helpful to me is if more people could post pics of their vacuum arrangements. SCbird, yours are very helpful because of the blue hoses...got any more? Also, if I want to replace the pcv valve, how do I get that clamp off? Why do they use that fancy crimp clamp anyway? Well, tomorrow I should have my knock sensor to install too so I'll be busy on it tomorrow night after work, any additional helpful pics by then would be great. Thanks again. Jay

vacuum line routing pics

anybody that has pics that might help with me correcting my vacuum line routing please post them, thanks.

Back