Electrical system won't power up in restoration SC

Mike Puckett

SCCoA Member
I finally connected the battery fresh off of the charger and when I turn the key there is no power anywhere. I've gone over every connector and fuse under the hood but it's like the battery isn't even connected. There's got to be some blown fuse link or undone plug but dang if I can find them. I've gone over it 1/2 dozen times. Anybody run into this and can tell me some places to look that I haven't already?

ground

check your main engine grounds. had the same problem with mine. one goes from the battery to the driver side motor mount, that is most likely the problem. there is also one from the passenger side motor mount to the side of the car, under the ac compressor.

Well I would start at the ignition switch itself. Are you sure that when you turn the key that the switch is getting switched? It's down in the column and actuated by a rod.

Do you have accessory power?

I think he said he has no power at all. There is also a mega fuse next to the main fuse box under the hood. Its like the main fuse but you would have something realy wrong if that blows.

I was wondering about a master fuse. Is there one? I connected the negative battery cable to the front of the engine at the bracket that supports the lower IC tube. The motor mount has a regular bolt and didn't have the stud on it is why I didn't connect it there. I don't know if the other side is connected or not, don't think so, so I'll check it. I don't have the little wire at the - battery terminal hooked up yet either, but I read 0 ohms from the negative terminal to the fender and 12.55vdc from the fender to the + terminal. I haven't checked the ignition switch or the underdash fuse panel yet because it's a little yucky inside. I need to strip out the everything because of the mildew. I had to spray it with raid to get rid of all the spiders. I wanted to run the windows down and open the sunroof but without power it's dead in the water. You have to understand, this car was trashed in one way or another by the previous owner and anything is possible. For all I know the EEC could have been yanked, I hope not. If I'd realized how bad it was I'd have passed but I'm comitted now. At least I got 6 16" 5spoke wheels and lots of spare parts if nothing else. I'll make it run one way or another. The body is in great shape and the red paint is excellent.

Does the headlights turn on?
how about the interior lights?
What about grounding the Battery to the chassis (VIA a cable to where the Negitive batteyr cable is attached to the engine then to the chassis, or from the batteryu itself..

How did you hook up the Postive lead to the starter Silnoid on the fender??
Did yah hook up the mess of Black w/ orange (??) leads to the starter silniod with at the same terminal as the Pos. cable (rearward lug)

it's a 5.0L but you can tell by THIS pic as to the wiring of the siliniod on the fender (where all the 14ga red wires are headign too is constant power)

Trace the 12v UP TO where it goes dead

Hook up your voltmeter to the fuse panel and see how far into the car that you have electrical power (Passed the main fuse through the relays and other fuses, etc). If it has power UP TO the ignition switch, than maybe you forgot to hookup the electrical conmnector to the ignition switch. If there is no power after the main fuse, than that could be your problem.

Electrically I've got nothing. It's like the battery isn't even connected but I can measure 12.55 on the solenoid. I guess I've just got a lot of tracing to do. Thanks for ideas. I've just got to busy and hunt it down. Minus the spiders of course!

Back