Aftermarket CD Player Installation

rad_al_

Is there anything I need to know or need to do before installing an aftermarket CD player? In my Turbo Coupe, I had to disconnect the factory amp. Is that the same deal with a 94 SC?

i bought a wiring harness from walmart that plugs into the factory wiring harness. i did not touch the amp or anything. use the harness and everything should work fine.

I think the Turbo Coupe has a different wiring than the SC. I would rewire the speakers and go that route than to try to figure it out. Here is something that I copied from www.Coolcats.com. Maybe it will answer your questions.

"Ford, in their infinite wisdom, decided to offer upscale radios with what was known as the Premium Sound System. At the very least, the Premium Sound option included upgraded (and sometimes additional) speakers and at least one factory amplifier. Some packages added a factory passive equalizer as well. All cars with Premium Sound had a badge on the door speaker grilles or sometimes on the dash in 1983-84 models. The Premium Sound system was cutting-edge stuff in the mid-1980's but it's pretty lame by today's standards. Cranking up the volume will get you lots of static and distortion. And as you can probably guess, if a car has Premium Sound, the factory EQ, or both, there is a TON more wiring to contend with. I've studied the schematics for the system and believe me, there is no logic to it. It would take someone with extensive car audio knowledge at least 2 weeks to figure it out.
Using aftermarket radios, therefore, become quite a challenge with Premium sound. There are two schools of thought here:

A) Use special connector harnesses to bypass the factory amp. Crutchfield, Circuit City and others sell special wiring adapters that will allow you to disconnect the two connectors at the factory amp (usually located behind the rear seat), and then plug those connectors together. A few people have reported success with this method. The connectors are not cheap, and you may need more than one, depending on if you have a factory EQ. By the way, this should also allow you to use your factory EQ with the aftermarket radio. Your only limitations will be the speakers, and finding a way to use an amp if you wish to do so.

B) Bypass the factory wiring and run your own. While this is a lot more time-consuming, it has some great advantages. First, you don't have to disconnect anything---just let all the factory wiring and amp hang there. Second, if you ever sell the car, it's easier to go back to stock, and you have the option of leaving the new wiring for the next owner. And third, you can create a system that's not restricted at all. The only real downfall is that it would be difficult to hook into the EQ, although it's probably possible.

Ultimately you'll have to decide what's best for you. Some people like to just go a little better than stock, while others want a huge bass-pumping system. Fortunately your Cougar will accommodate just about anything you throw at it. But it all comes down to wiring, and that's where you have to be careful. It's always recommended that you use a test light and good, common sense when it comes to wiring".

Give this a try. Premium sound shortcut

Alway seems to work for me - look around the radio area with the bezel off. also check behind but to the left of the glove box. If you have the premium system, there should be 2 regular style rectangular connectors, the standard ford plugs, plugged into their corresponding mates. Unplug these, then unplug your amp, both plugs on amp, and use the two standard ford plugs you unplugged up front for your power and speaker connections. These will be your standard issue ford harness connectors as well, which you can buy almost anywhere.

Back