190 lph right? Fuel Pump Reliability

LXSC

SC's come standard with a 190 lph fuel pump right? How prone are they to failure? I'm askin' before I swap one out of a 90 SC with about 199,000 km. What should I look for in the way of possible visible defects? The car is working and still runs (aside from the bottom end knock).

The FAQ forums are useful for finding information you might want/need as well ;)

Copied from FAQ forum:
"What size fuel pump do I have?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 89-93 SC and 89-90 XR7 had a 108 liter/hour fuel pump from the factory.
The 94/95 has a 128 liter/hour pump."

If you are going to replace it, IMO, i'd get a new 190lph pump instead of using one out of another car, but that's just my opinion. It is somewhat of a pain to drop the tank once, let alone to have to do it again becuase the used pump failed.

Nick

I've got 130K Miles on mine, and while it still works, it's getting replaced with a new 255Lph unit when the Art Carr tranny goes in next monday.

Moral of the story:

If you are going to replace the fuel pump, spend the extra few bucks and buy a new one. A pump with 200,000km on it is probably not going to be the most reliable unit.

108 lph eh?

Hmmm.... Guess I was off. You have to drop the entire tank to get the fuel pump? This complicates things further. Ah well. How much work is involved in this? Any website that might have steps for removin' your tank?

If I'm droppin' the tank......

Wit save the effort later on to swap in an 8.8" rearend while I'm at it? I figure if I'm in that area. But if it just creates a shitload more work than maybe next year when I can swap the tranny as well.

Do these numbers check out for a 190lph

Do these numbers check out for a 190lph?

31092-1B

Pat No 4500270

I'm not trying to shill for MN12, but take a look at what comes in the kit. Rich wouldn't be including it if it isn't stuff that's likely necessary for a sucessful swap.

Back