3000 rpm idle speed

f20 in mi

Has anyone ever had an extremely high idle speed? My car idles at about 3000 rpm which makes the car a bit of pain to drive. The idle air bypass is closed at rest and the gasket looked okay. The TB butterfly is on the stop at rest also. All the air must be going through the MAF because it doesn't seem to go lean. Any thoughts on what could be causing this?

How do you know that the IAC is closed properly while you are idling? That would sure be my first guess. I don't see how it would be idling that fast if it can't get air to allow it to idle that fast.

Dale

It is your Idle air control valve many people have had problems with it. A tale tale sign is a dying goose sound when you shut the car off. but not always. the IAC valve gets dirty and has to be replaced (dont try to clean it) you can pick one up from www.rockauto.com for around $60 but you need to call ford and get the part# because you have to get the motorcraft one, do not get aftermarket part because it is backwards and will not work. That is where I got mine a month ago. The dealers want like twice as much for the same part.

Back