Check Engine light + 50% loss of power

LikeNew92

My cars problem:

My car has run strong for 130k. Today on the way home from work, my check engine light came on, the rpms dropped, and I had lost about half of my power. When I attempted to accelerate, the rpms increased very very slowly, and the boost would go up as normal. Car sounded like it wanted to stall, so had constantly give it a little gas.

I took home and used the code tester. I got the code for "your car is in gear". I put it in neutral, and passed the code test with 111.

Then took a short slow drive, and could not get the light to come on.

any tips?

thanks

Alex

code 217

I got the car to fail again with code 217 DISn fault ignition system coil #3

how can I further troubleshoot this? Change wire and plug?

Alex

This code typically happens when the DIS goes out. You start running on 4 of 6 cylinders. The DIS is the grey box on top of the A/C compressor bracket. You can test the coil pack if you wish by checking the resistance across the pins of the connector and the plug wire posts. What you're looking for is resistances which are the same across the 3 different coils.

The SC motor uses a Coil pack that has 3 coils. One coil for each of two cylinders. The coil pack is driven by the DIS module.

Start with inspecting the wiring harness connections to the coil pack and the DIS to make sure it's not just a signalling problem.

If the problems persist it could be your coil pack is dying. Sometimes, though, the CAM sensor can be failing and cause a mis-fire type situation as well. Though I don't know if you would catch the code you did if the CAM sensor was to blame.

thanks

thanks for the tips. I changed the DIS ($400 :eek: ). It seems to run fine. However, I need to test a little more.

Alex

Back