How many here had a problem with CC Peel?

Birdman93

Maybe this is the time for a poll on which colors had problems with CC peeling.

Here's what I'd like to see:

Year
Color
How long before the peel started?
What areas of the car were affected?

Some colors seem to be more susceptible to peel than others.

I'll start:

1993 Thunderbird LX - Cayman Green CC Metallic - Peel started in 1998 - Roof and trunklid

Year 1994

Color turqouis

How long before the peel started? Was like it when I bought it last summer

What areas of the car were affected? two custom racing strips across roof, and now have a comple spots by the bottom corners of rear window.

I would be surprised if color had any effect. The 2 scenarios pointing to causation have nothing to do with pigmentation, but rather film build or contaminant issues on the base during the paint process.

Not saying you getting the data together is a bad idea, it can't hurt....just that it's very unlikely color will be a factor.

FWIW, some of you know I'm a pro detailer...I've detailed many, many SC's over the last 15 years, of every color, and have seen every color of the mid 90's SC's exibit clearcoat failure.

Also, bear in mind that delamination is ( in our case) the symptom, not the cause; i.e. the resin system breaks down (in the "film build" scenario) due to lack of UV % and the clear begins to dry out and dissolve. Initially the resin damage manifests itself through a whitish appearance in the clear, then as it deteriorates deeper, the bond between the clear and the base breaks due to the resins chalking and drying out, or dissolving completely.

It IS a good idea to get some feedback on this though, because I've always wanted to have a database that points to when ,where & how. If we can document what years were and weren't affected, and compare factory paint processes, we will at least learn something here. :cool:

The 94 Project car I purchased had the bad clear coat problem. I was able to strip 90% of the clearcoat off with a razor blade! :eek:

Proper blade angle and fresh blades allowed me to scrape the yellowing clearcoat off and expose the basecoat. Wet sanding would have taken forever. By chance I wanted to see how a piece of the clear coat which had bubbled up came off. Using a window scraper I was able to remove the clear coat pretty easily. The areas which still had a good clearcoat did not allow me to scrape the clearcoat off. After all the work I have a very good base to repaint the car from.

fresh-paint.JPG

Good Luck!

Rich

Back