PDA

View Full Version : BHJ install and timing cover marker

joenintiesc
04-22-2004, 03:01 PM
How close is the BHJ balancer (1990 SC) supposed to come to the protruding timing marker on the timing cover? Does that marker need to be shortened in order to press the BHJ on all the way?

Did a search but didn't see anything...

Thanks!

Ken Seegers
04-22-2004, 03:10 PM
Joe,
The BHJ balancer should fit on the same place the stock balancer was. I have one on my 92 with no problems.

It sounds like your balancer is not fully seated on the crank.

Hope this helps
Ken

joenintiesc
04-22-2004, 03:23 PM
Well, my engine builder pressed it on yesterday and stopped a hair more than an 1/8 inch from the timing cover marker. He seemed to think it still had more than 1/8" to go until it was all the way on but it would hit the marker first...

It's supposed to be pressed on until it can go no further, correct? And should stop before hitting the marker?

Thanks for the quick reply!

V6Sprout
04-22-2004, 04:22 PM
I always just press it on till the marks line up with the crank sensor.

RichM
04-24-2004, 07:17 PM
I just ran into the same problem.

My post with picture (http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?p=283021#post283021)

I'm worried about the alignment of the pulleys. The builder is going to pull the balancer and check the lenght and compare them to the old one.

V6Sprout
04-24-2004, 09:26 PM
I just ran into the same problem.

My post with picture (http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?p=283021#post283021)

I'm worried about the alignment of the pulleys. The builder is going to pull the balancer and check the lenght and compare them to the old one.

I replied to your other thread.

RichM
04-24-2004, 09:50 PM
How close is the BHJ balancer (1990 SC) supposed to come to the protruding timing marker on the timing cover? Does that marker need to be shortened in order to press the BHJ on all the way?

Did a search but didn't see anything...

Thanks!

Joe, I just got off the phone with Rich Thomson and he says his is less than 1/16 inch from the pointer and if there is a lot of RTV on the cam chain cover gasket then hitting the tip of the pointer with a cutoff wheel might be required, but should not mess anything up.

I'll try and post more information after I talk to my builder tomorrow.

joenintiesc
04-26-2004, 10:21 AM
RICH, were you able to come to a conclusion on this? I haven't tried to go any further yet with the balancer, but I guess that scenario with extra RTV, and even a new timing cover gasket, pushing out the timing cover a bit makes sense...

cap320
08-07-2008, 02:22 PM
I have the same problem. What did you guys wind up doing? The BHJ does not measure the same to my OEM balancer. The distance from the end of the snout to the ring where the reluctor mounts is 2.150" on the BHJ, my OEM (from a '93) is 2.250".... .100 further away from the block and the index pointer also the reluctor depth relative to the crank sensor. Thanks John

talonhead
08-07-2008, 08:46 PM
Looks like I'm going to get a BHJ, went to ford and they want $450 for an OEM and there isn't one on this side of the country.

At what distance from the T-cover does the pulleys line up (or not) I was thinking that if they line up without the bal being fully seated then maybe a spacer between the gear and bal?
MikeH

cap320
08-08-2008, 12:31 AM
Well, I wound up just cutting the tip of the index marker off. Then cut a notch for an approximate centerline. You don't time these cars anyway. However, the reluctor ring sits deeper into the crank sensor (.100 deeper)...it clears but barely. If it gives me a problem you could also take the crank sensor mounting bracket and shave .100 off the area where the sensor mounts.... the front face of the balancer is OK so the position of the crank pulley relative to the accessory pullies are good....we'll see when I get this running John

cap320
08-08-2008, 12:36 AM
and the balancer needs to be fully seated so you can get the proper torque of 103-133 lb-ft