my BBK AFPR instal pics

V6Sprout

Well I finally got around to installing this AFPR. The rail is not on the car just yet but I had to modify it to fit the BBK AFPR. First off the vacuum tube was pointing the wrong direction, so I had to remove the top of the AFPR adn spin it around so it pointed the other way, cool BBK allows for this adjustment, then I had to notch the bracket on the fuel rail to clear the corner of the AFPR. Then I had to plug the opening for a gauge ont he AFPR and I lost the plug, so I went to the auto store adn got another one, but it hits the bracket on the rail now ( the bracket that bolts to the back of the drivers side head. So I had to cut it off, I never bolted it to the head anyways. I took pics of the gauge installed witht he gauge ont he AFPR just to see what it look like, it will clear the rear intake but way too hard to read so I installed my gauge ont he rail up at the front like most do. Here are the pics.

the bracket I cut off

afpr_pics_001.jpg

after the bracket was removed

afpr_pics_002.jpg

AFPR installed with plug

afpr_pics_003.jpg

AFPR with gauge installed on it,, you can see where the vacuum nipple is, it points towards 3 o'clock, orginally it pointed towards 11 o'clock until I adjusted it.

afpr_pics_004.jpg

AFPR and gauge installed on the rail

afpr_pics_005.jpg

Last edited:
I wouldnt do to much work ..... as you will probably be replacing it with an OEM unit if you drive the car much. IMHO all AFPR are junk.

Chris

cool l ink, I didn't know you could replace those hoses, they do tend to get brittle after a while. Good write up on the how to but doesn't say where to buy the hose from.

Last edited:
I just did that fuel rail mod using Parker socketless hose. I went to a local hose shop and they just gave me 2 feet of the hose for free.

I also had an Accufab AFPR, that did not last 4 months. Plus they don't offer any warranty, so I'd wouldn't use that brand.

I hope you have better luck with the BBK.

my buddy has tired many AFPR and they all failed as well, but he has had his BBK AFPR for years now with no problems, I hear BBK is one of the good ones.

That writeup was done by Rich over at MN12 Performance. I bet he either can source the hose or can point you to it. It looks like Aeroquip stuff.

Woops, I see he specified the part number. Hydraulic shops should be able to source that hose. Heavy truck shops might be able to as well.

Went down to the locaol hydralic shop today and picked up some of that AQP hose, I asked for 3 ft which was $3 a ft (CDN funds) he had a 4 ft piece already cut from before so he gave me that for the price of 3 ft, bonus, I am gonna do a few feul rails I have lying around, thanks again for the great link. :D

SWEET! got the new fuel lines installed on my fuel rail, looks great. Also redid a spare fuel rail I had, the hose goes on the rail much nicer when the rail still have a bit of fuel residue on it, the old rial I had was very dry and hard to slide the hose onto it. Here are the pics. :D

sc_modified_fuel_rail_001.jpg

sc_modified_fuel_rail_002.jpg

Jamie,

That looks great! I've got a spare fuel rail kickin' around my place somewhere. I might have to refresh it this way and have it ready for the next time I pull mine off. I wonder if that hose is available in other colours?

What was the price on the BBK AFPR?

One word of caution though... I see you keep putting the fuel rail down on the tips of those nice 42# injectors you've got. Just remember that if you damage the pintle caps, or obstruct the ends of the injectors with debris of any kind, you're asking for big trouble. You might want to be a little more careful about what you subject the ends of the injectors to. I'd hate to see you develop a fuel problem in the future on account of this.

Best regards,

Sean

ahh good point Sean, I usualyl set them down gently, and always check the tips afterwards for debris and such, and when I do set it down other then for pics I put the injectors face up. As for the BBK unit, I got it off eBay for like $65US if I remember correctly, usually I don't care for AFPR but this was a great deal and BBK is pretty good. The hose only comes in blue for this particular model, its high temp hose, and from AQP ALL their high temp hose is blue I was told today. But for the price of it you can't go wrong, good mod in my books. I have a few spare fuel rails so I already re-did one and will redo the other soon too, you will need just over a foot for each rail, the actual lengths are on that article posted above.

Keep in mind that the hose isn't simply high temp. It's a special design that allows it to be retained on a socketless connection like is on our fuel rail..

So you need to use that hose if you want to make sure it doesn't get blown off. Any other high temp hose likly won't be retained.

Back