View Full Version : finally got the custom raised top on

04-22-2004, 09:09 PM
It took a little modifying of the upper tube to get proper alignment but it was worth it. Hood closes and it hasn't dented it yet under power. It looks like I freed up at least 1 pound of boost that is now reaching the motor. Blower sounds louder w/ less throttle which is cool. Seat of the pants feels good gain in power too.

04-22-2004, 09:16 PM
extra pound of boost? Cool!

super red91
04-22-2004, 11:06 PM
can i ask why you have the connector there? How come you dont have the ic tube connected the stock way?

04-24-2004, 11:31 AM
The top was raised straight up by 1" and it was too far to enable the stock tube to squarely seal. I tried many different ways (tilting the IC, cutting the alternator mounting eye off, and grinding clearance near alternator interference) but the connection at the outlet nut was too far out of whack to give a good reliable seal. I cut the top tube (after I bought a spare at the junk yard) and added the hump hose to allow square sealing at both upper tube connections. It did the trick, it just needed a small degree of movement more than I could get otherwise. In hindsight it may have been a good idea to just take the nut off and grind the threads off the end of the tube at the outlet connection and just use the hump hose at that connection, but too late now. This seems to be working good so far, and I could try a different approach if I need to with my extra tube.

04-24-2004, 11:41 AM
That's the first time i've seen that. They should of compensated for the lift and angled the neck. Most not be using a jig.

04-24-2004, 11:50 AM
Well, that would be my fault since I did all the altering to this top. I forgot to say this was a DIY project. My brother did the welding for me though. I didn't know any better until it was all welded up and the throat was opened up so well I could push a tennis ball clear thru so i had to try using it.