coolant leak?

ss_scuba

Long story....I'm going to do a head swap on a 90SC due to blown haed gaskets. Not my car, but a good friend's.

I took off the sc top and upper i/c tube, and found coolant everywhere. Inside the sc, tubes, you name it. Now some background. The guy that owned it before thought he had roasted headgaskets because coolant will almost literally pour out the tail pipes. The oil is clean, no sign of coolant mixing in it. So my friend bought the car for cheap.

But my reasoning is this: if coolant is in the supercharger, i/c tubes, i/c; then the headgaskets are still in good shape. The only place I can guess it's coming from would be a cracked throttle body where the coolant line runs through it. I'm guessing that with the air flowing past the throttle body, it would pull coolant directly into the intake. I'm guessing this, as even if the headgasket was blown, then all it would do is mix coolant and oil or blow white smoke. This has me stumped. Any ideas?

A few guesses

Sombody hooked up a coolant line were a vac line should have been...
The EGR was sucking in antifreeze that was built up in the catalytic converters and blowing it back into the intake...
The PCV was sucking in coolant and blowing it back into the intake...

Back