Erratic Oil Pressure Guage?

89_Red_Xr7

Hello,
I was just out driving and while I was at a stoplight I noticed that my stock oil pressure guage was flickering left to right and the check guages light on the tach would flash as the guage went bonkers. As soon as I could I pulled over and shut the car off. checked the oil and it was right on the full mark on the dipstick. I started the car again and drove home with the oil pressure guage acting just fine.
Should i be concerned about my oil pump going out or do you guys think it's an electrical problem? right now when the car is running, the needle pegs to right side of the guage, and i think i have a loose ground somewhere that's causing that. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: would that also cause the guage to flicker like that?

Thanks
Andrew :confused:

was the oil dirty maybe it needs changed mine gets dirty quick i also had trouble with my oil sending unit leaking i put 2 in so far if your using 94 guages maybe there is a loose connection , if your losing oil pressure your valves will start tapping first that is first sign somethings wrong

Hello. Not only will the valves tap w/ low oil pressure, but because they are hydralic they will also limit the ability of your engine to rev.

The oil pressure sending unit is a very common problem on these cars, and often the problem with low oil pressure is entirely the sending unit. Check the connection point (red elbow near the tstat housing), try replacing the sensor, and check to see if it is leaking. Mine was causing very unusual symptoms and I found it was leaking due to a poor install from the previous owner. This cuased air and oil pressure to slip out from around the sensor and produce a low reading at idle, especially as the engine warmed up and oil thinned.

Goodluck!

Back