Auto belts not working.

Darkside

My automatic seatbelts aren't working. Both sides. Why, Why, Why. Checked fuses under hood and under dash.

Are the motors running at all? Where are they stuck? Did they work since you've had it? Have you tried to fix them at all (just so I know whether you'd know what I'm talking about when I describe some things)?

I've fixed my seatbelts on my LX numerous times. Give a few more details and I'll try my best to help you with it.

Nick

I bought my car with an inoperative drivers side seatbelt, and later the passenger side also got stuck into the open position.

After significant research, I found several things out. First, there is a switch at the end of the track that the seatbelt buckles contact when they reach the end of their travel near the windshield. If your belts failed at seperate times, you may wish to check if these switches are operative.

Next, there is an access panel in front of the rear seat cushion, behind the door opening. You can remove this panel and listen for the motor. You can also manually rewind the seatbelt tracks via the knob on top of the motor. Sometimes the tracks need lubrication and rewinding them plus lubing the tracks helps the belts to work again.

When these things all failed for me, I found out about the computer for the active passenger restraint system (seatbelts on early cars) on the left side of the trunk behind the carpet. I found that unplugging this computer would reset it, and sometimes it became 'confused' about the position of the seatbelts especially in the event that they were operating slowly from dry tracks. I reset my computer, and they have worked flawlessly for over a year. Try some searching to locate this computer, I no longer remember exactly which one it was.

Hope that helps..

i fixed mine before by spraying liquid wrench in the door latch thats where the switch is they get dirty i sprayed mine a few different times and told my bro and it fixed his taurus also

They are both stuck in the closed position. Both of them have been there since I bought it. I open the door and nothing. I haven't done any troubleshooting yet except for checking fuses. I was hoping some of you guys could give some common problems with these to save me some time in finding the problem. Thanks. I'll look at them tonight.

when mine died it was caused by a bad ground in the door closed sensor inside the door. There is a sensor that sits on the inside behing the latch. The window must have caught the wire and yanked it out of it's ground. regrounded it, they work fine. Just 1 possibility.
good luck
kyle

My drivers side seatbelt quit working today. Its like it came out of hte track or something. The motor is working just fine, but the belt doesn't move at all. I took of the apillar and am trying to figure this thing out, but not yet!!! Can anyone help?? :confused:

You'll have to take apart the back panel by the back seat. Just look, you'll see the screws and stuff for it and stuff. Once you get that panel off, you'll notice what should be going where. It is hard to type up and explain right now, because it's been a while since I had to fix mine. If you need more help, and have AIM message me at: kumputor nurd

It's a pretty simple job, after I did mine the first time, it only took me 30 minutes to take panel off, fix the belt, and reassemble the car. So, it isn't a BIG job, just takes some time and patience. Be careful doing most of the things as the trim panel may rub against the head liner, which could tear it, or get some silicone sealant from the back window all over it (that stuff doesn't come off to easily ;) )

The belt for the passive belts goes from the track, through a little track-like thing which plugs into the top of the motor. Your belt has probably pushed that off the motor and the belt is probably flying around inside the trim panel. BEFORE you take off the trim panel, you could see if it is in fact that before taking the panel off by opening up the little service door by the edge of the seat (it's a little square that pops out) and turning the knob on the motor. If the seatbelt moves, then it is still in the track properly. If it doesn't move, continue to take the trim panel off.

Once inside the panel, you'll immediately notice the path the belt takes through the motor and into more track.

Sorry I type things kinda out of order, i don't always think in the same sequence I work in :) :rolleyes:

Nick

That actually is an awesome write up! Thanks man. I had some of the car apart, but didn't feel like messing with it once I got into it! :eek:

if the motor runs and it dont move the big white gear was stripped in mine i got one out of a tempo took the 2 or 3 screws out of the big round cover and slid the new gear in

Last edited:
On, mine the problem was that the track split in half where the motor gear engages it. I took the panel out and noticed that the motor was unplugged. Plugged it back in and it made a horrible racket. Anyway, I tore out both motors and everything associtated with them. Auto seatbelts are gone. Never liked them anyway. Now I just have the metal part of the track that goes over the door in the car. Saved some weight too!! :rolleyes: Anyway, if I every get another SC with the auto belts, working or not, they are coming out. They are freakin' irritating. :mad:

My passenger passive belt is stuck in the closed position. I went out just now and opened the service door up. I was able to move the belt manually with the knob. I got it to open up like this. I threw the key in the ignition to run and it closed immediately.
Is there a switch that the belt that it has reached the closed position and to stop running?

edit: The car doesn't sense that the passenger door is open. No Door Open Light is triggered. Where is the sensor for this? The light does come on when its ajar but I have read that it isn't the same sensor.

Any other suggestions?
Aaron

Last edited:
Just do what i did- Get rid of the automatic seatbelts all together. I got the newer belts, trim panels, etc from a Canadian car( never had retard belts). but you can get panels from a newer car as well. All of the holes for the belts are there, they just need to be tapped.

Thanks for the suggestion acb. I would really prefer to keep the passive belts though. Even if I remove the passive belts there is still the problem that the car doesn't sense that the passenger door is ajar. If I fix this then the auto belts will work.

I sprayed some wd-40 on the locking mechanism thinking that the sensor is just stuck at the shut position. The door now shuts easily but it didn't solve the problem. How is the lock removed? Is it similar to removing a window motor? Does anyone know about the door ajar sensor? Where it's located? If I'm going the right direction?

Aaron

Problem fixed

I took off the door panel and looked around inside at the door latch. Seems that the connection had come off the sensor. So I plugged it back and in and it's working great now. I believe the connection is in a bad angle because I hear a clink whenever I lower that window. Its about when the window passes that spot. Atleast if it comes off again I know what is going wrong with it.

Aaron

Back