index pointer and BHJ balancer gap?

RichM

What should be the approximate gap between a BHJ Balancer and the timing pointer on the cam chain cover?

My engine is just about to gether and the builder doesn't like the looks of the gap, and neither do I. He stoped with 0.020 inch gap but feels the balancer has a ways before it bottoms on the timing chain gear.

About the only alternative is to grind down the pointer. But, that might mess up the allignment of the pulleys.

So close and yet so far.

balance_timing.jpg

the pointer is not what you need to worry about, its the gear ont he back of the balancer that has to line up with the crank senosr, I don't even see the ring on the back of the balancer there, did you put it on?

V6Sprout said:
the pointer is not what you need to worry about, its the gear ont he back of the balancer that has to line up with the crank senosr, I don't even see the ring on the back of the balancer there, did you put it on?

It's there, you can just bairly see it behind the pointer. I made sure that the ring was on, and actually kept reminding the builder to the point I think i was getting on his nerves.

Back