make fan come on sooner

1fastsupercoupe

my fan likes to come on late...i remember reading a long time ago a way to make the fan come on alot sooner etc......
anybody have any info on this?

thanks

Hello. Assuming your cooling system is in proper operating condition, it is generally an inaccuracy in your temperature gauge rather than the activation temperature of your fan that you are observing. The factory gauge tends to be inaccurate, and over time the sending unit can read an increasingly higher temperature at the point which the fan turns on. To check this, you can use an infrared heat gun to measture your engine temp at the thermostat. It will likely be about 220 degrees.

The best way to activate your cooling fan at a lower temperature is to buy an ECU tuner and reprogram the chip so that it tells the fan to activate sooner. Keep in mind the main reason for turning the fan on at the factory setting is for emissions so this could cuase a problem when passing testing on a daily driver. Other ways to turn the fan on sooner include wiring a relay to activate it via switch while preventing both high and low speed windings from simultaneously engauging.

Other simply ways to cool your car down include checking for the air dam underneath the bumper cover and adding a product similar to Redline's Water wetter to your coolant mix. I had good luck with Motorcool from Autozone, but can not currently locate it. In the summer, or especially in warmer climates, you could also experiment with running a higher percentage of water in your coolant mix.. just make sure not to exceed its boiling point.

Hope that helps..

Do a search

Ive posted on this many a times. Do some searching and you'll find what u need. You can do a wire cut trick, wire some relays with a switch, or even use a cool fan switch. Best of luck, Alyn.

Back