PDA

View Full Version : Steering gear problems please HELPP!!!

wingrg
04-24-2004, 08:47 PM
I try to remove the steering gear of my 89 SC / 5 speed, but i get stuck :( , i can't get access to the take off the lines wich way i go? i have to take out the power steering pump to get to the lines or theres is a trick? please help my car is outside the house!!!! :(

scbird1
04-24-2004, 09:17 PM
If you are removing the pump,take off the pully then remove the pump and when you lift it up you can disconect the lines.

wingrg
04-24-2004, 09:51 PM
Thanks! that means i have to remove the power steering pump to get access to steering gear lines, I hope i dont damage the power steering pulley i try to take out with a Allen tool, i buy a chilton today and I discover that i have to buy a pulley, hope the pulley work with the little damage i make to the power steering pulley. :confused:

pmac
04-26-2004, 05:27 PM
STOP!!! You don't need to remove the pump to get to the lines. I just replaced my rack a month ago. You first want to take the engine oil filter off, this will allow you to slide the rack towards the front of the car. You will be able to see the return and pressure lines more clearly. For some reason the pressure line runs from the pump down past the steering input shaft, then underneath the oil pan to the other side of the engine, where it does a 180 degree bend and goes back across to the rack intake. There is also a little plastic hose ring that needs to be pulled out at the 180 bend area. I found that positioning my body so that my feet were under the passanger side wheel and my head under the drivers side wheel, I could reach over the top of theK-member to the fittings. I think it was a 18mm wrench you'll need. Check my previous post. For more info. Good Luck.

wingrg
04-26-2004, 09:08 PM
Hey! Thanks a lot, I learn a lot reading your past post apreciate> ;)