Week 5 Summit Series, back in points lead.

Mike Puckett

SCCoA Member
I had a good day at the track today. I won 6 straight before running too far off my dial-in and losing to the eventual winner in the semi finals. It was hot today reaching 100 in the staging lanes during midday. At 7:30 it was still 86 degrees. The heat showed in my times as I ran a 13.501, 13.473, 13.903(missed 3rd & still won on a breakout by a brand new Lightning), 13.343, 13.318, 13.316, & 13.562. On my last run I only had a 30 min cooldown and should have dialed up a .1 but didn't think of it. My reaction times were up and down with a best .503 which got me a bye round and a worst .809. It is now a 3 way tie for 1st with myself, the big yellow 429 Econoline p/u, & a 350 '69 Chevelle all at 230 points. I picked up 60 points today and leapfrogged from a 3rd place tie to a 1st place tie. It's my 1st time back in the points lead, tie or outright, since last Aug. My starter problem came back just after I returned to my pit from tech-in & gas. I wiggled something on top of the starter and had no more trouble so I suspect the cable is loose. We don't run again until 22nd of May so I get a breather for awhile. I ran last weekend at Fun Ford Weekend and had a best time of a 13.15 in much cooler weather and made it to the 3rd round. Can you believe 100 degrees and it's only April!

Way to go Mike. Now make the mid season push and leave the rest in your dust and yes I can believe its that hot in April, but its about 10 deg cooler up here in Chattanooga then down it HOT Atlanta.

Mike,
That sounds almost exactly like what happened to me this weekend.
Michele let me have the SC for the day...Ran some great times, best was 13.43 @ 101...had a 5.00 light in the 3rd round, & too bad I had to back out ( to be safe,didn't want to break out) cause by the 60' and 1/8 ETs I would have beaten our fastest time at elevation,(set last week by Michele 13.35 @101)...not to bad for 4400ft corrected altitude.
Anyway I made it to semis only to Red light(.485) to the guy who went on to win.
It was a great day and I found out that the MP2 really made this car faster & more consistant. I'm sure it will run mid 12s at sea level now. Maybe its time to add a little NOS just for fun, head down low & put it where it should be ....back in the top 10.

Last edited:
Hey Todd, I just got in from a week in Germany(business) and didn't see your post till tonight. It looks like the heat and altitude have about equal effects. Does it ever get over 100 up there? We can have 134 degree track temps here from Apr to Sept. The two in combination would be a killer. I'm running chipless now and thats' showing up in my slower times now, too. After blowing out the #1 plug I pulled it until I can redyno tune it and correct the leanout condition I've had. It made for some great times, though. I'll never forget my 12.87 and the look on the 440 Duster's face in the pits afterwards especially with the .501 light. Oh, do I love blowing away big blocks in my 3.8! Another .500 light, that's great. How many have you gotten now?

Back