stalls with AC on

LikeNew92

On hot days my car will stall with the AC on. It will not stall when I give it gas, however, when I coast or sit at idle it stalls sometimes.

My car has 130k miles

Any Tips?

Alex

What is the IAC. Is that the valve on the throttle body. If that is it, I changed it less than 35k ago.

Note: the car never stalls without the AC on

Its the Idle Air Control valve and is a solenoid that opens and closes (variable) to control idle. Does the idle drop when parking?

Lots of gunk can build up in 35K, so don't rule it out. Your compressor might be going bad. My Wife's Ranger would start and then die, with a screech after about 2 seconds of running. The defroster was on and the compressor had seized over night. She complained about a low idle and havin to give it gas about a week before the compressor finally seized.

Jeff

How are your engine mounts? The OEM hydraulic mounts are good for about 90,000 miles. When they collapse, your idle can suffer. Other worse things can happen such as the oil pan can develop cracks and the power steering line can leak. If you've never replaced them, its time and this will cure your load problem. I'd check into this first before investing in a new IAC. :)

The idle will not drop off with the car in nuetral and AC off. However, it will stall sometimes with AC on

The Motor Mounts were changed at around 90k. Additionally, I think that the motor mounts may have gone bad again because the oil filter has become difficult to remove and install.

thanks for the tips

Alex

Your IAC is adjustable. Use a flathead screwdriver and turn the screw counter-clockwise (opening it wider) 1/2 turn at a time until it fixes the problem. Should only take 1/2 to 1 full turn to fix your problem.

Oh :confused: :confused: My IAC has no adjusting screw.. My throttle plate does, by not my IAC. Do you have a picture of it?

My IAC has no adjusting screw either? Are you talking about the hex adjustment screw on the throttle body? Would that help me? I thought that the computer and IAC would take care of this.

Because the car never stalls without the AC on. I think that it must be the compressor. Any thoughts on this?

Last edited:
The compressor is a possibility, but usually there is a loud unnerving screech which comes from it as the belt slips over the locked compressor pulley. If you take the serpentine belt off, turn the key on to the run position and turn on the A/C, the compressor clutch should engage. If the compressor is OK, you should be able to turn it by hand. It'll be stiff, but should turn.

On the engine mounts, you can check them visually to see that the limiter arms are roughly in the center of the bracket hole and not resting on the bottom. :)

The compressor won't turn on unless the engine is running. If the compressor is starting to go out there may not be a screech because it's still turning just more of a load.

Jeff

There is an adjustment screw on your IAC, but it's not in plain view.

No, I don't mean the hex adjustment on your throttle plate.

On the top of your IAC, there is a hole that has a screw recessed into it.

Look down from directly above it (get your head in there) and you'll see it.

Put a flathead screwdriver in there and 1/2 turn counter-clockwise.

Let us know how it works.

kudos to Bill McNeil

Hey Bill McNeil

Thank you very much for the adjustment tip. The SC in running great with the AC on!

Thank you so much Bill!

Thanks to everyone else for giving me a hand

Alex

Back