The Agony of defeat

SCaddict

Well up till this point I have never lost a race in the SC. Tonight I went against a Cadillac STS and he won. I beat him easy until I hit drive and then I lose by half a car. Well we raced three times and on the third time I decided to shovel shift and I beat him by a car and a bit. He said that his car over heated and that the computer shuts down two cylinders to protect the motor and that is why he lost. I think it is because I held 2 and beat him fair and square. Then I raced a 01 Mustang 4.6L GT with exhaust, chip and dyno tuning and I lost by a car length and a bit. So I was kinda depressed but I should live. I just thought I would share my night. By the way I have raced turbo lasers, v8 dodges, rice and more and never lost and usually won by a country mile. :D

There are tons of go-fast mods you can still do, but your always going to run up against someone that's a little quicker. BTW, I think those STSs have a 300 hp V8, so don't feel too bad.

David

David,

With the 3:73's I think I will take him everytime. Cause like I said he only beat me by half and length and only when I hit drive. Yes, they are 300 HP and 296Torque so.... I did pretty good with the few mods I have in the old V6. The bad news is his other car is an AWD 91 Laser with quite a few mods :eek: I have never raced that.

Yes the 3.73s will help you launch harder and make the car feel about 500 pounds lighter. I think they are the best bang for the buck on 89-93 AODs.

What year is your car ?

David

David,

My car is a 90 with an AOD. I am trying to see where I can get the money for the whipple. Do you think that it will give like 150 RWHP on a mostly stock car? I have seen posts that say that we should see 350RWHP on a slightly modded SC. Do you think that if I only lost to the Caddy a half a car and the Stang by a car and a bit that I will be able to beat them with going to the steeper gears with nothing else?

Last edited:
SCaddict said:
David,

My car is a 90 with an AOD. I am trying to see where I can get the money for the whipple. Do you think that it will give like 150 RWHP on a mostly stock car? I have seen posts that say that we should see 350RWHP on a slightly modded SC. Do you think that if I only lost to the Caddy a half a car and the Stang by a car and a bit that I will be able to beat them with going to the steeper gears with nothing else?

No I don't think it will add 150 rwhp, but I do think you could reach 300 rwhp with the mods you already have, a whipple, an FMIC and an upgraded fuel system (255 pump & 42# injectors).

The gears will make you launch harder but they aren't going to help much on the top end. If your already spinning the tires, the gears will making launching on street tires even more difficult. I think your at the point now that you should consider some 38# injectors and a larger fuel pump.

David

David,

Thanks for the info. If we are only going to see 300RWHP with the Whipple, FMIC and fuel upgrades is it worth the extra money to go with the Whipple and not just the MP ported blower, plenum and TB to see about the same results. From what I have read the MP setup should get you over 300 RWHP or is that a little far fetched.

I have yet to see an SC that made 300 rwhp with stock heads and cam. Every bolt-on possible usually gets you to about 285 rwhp with an MPII, add a good set of heads and matching cam and you can get in the 350 rwhp range. With only the whipple and a MP FMIC 288 rwhp is very impressive. If it had bigger injectors it would probably have made 300 rwhp or better.

Do the same mods I have with the whipple instead of the MPII and I'm guessing you'll make about 425-440 rwhp. Is the cost of the whipple worth it ??? I think so, but I'm always looking for ways to make more power.

David

How did you race the STS? From a dead stop to a certain speed or from a rolling start? Those 300hp 32valve V8's breathe pretty well on the highway (I've drove one before and was impressed w/ the big luxury/family car).

We raced from a dead stop each time. He only ever got me in last last few feet after I hit drive and only by a half a car.

Back